Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: johnson V8

W.O.TMarine
    i have herd some bad things about the lower units on the johnson v8 outboards. as in there too much hp for that leg to handle also how do those motors do if you run them at wot for any long periods of time, do they hold together. i have just been told some bad stuff about them.

Trailer Park Casanova
    I believe STV Keith is the good source for info on them

STV_Keith
    The lowers are ok if you don't surface them. They don't like running surfaced, and will quickly go south. I wouldn't run mine on the limiters all day, but 6000rpm wouldn't be a problem. Due to fuel consumption, you may rethink that after a short period of time though.

W.O.TMarine
    thanks for the help i take it there gas hoggs. was trying to dicide if i should run that or a promax 300.

STV_Keith
    Well, from a mileage perspective, the Merc with EFI should be WAY better. If you're going to mod the motors for power, the V8's have the upper hand...just change some jets or move to Brucato's new EFI setup and you're good. If you're gonna leave it stock, the Mercs are the better way to go.

W.O.TMarine
    thanks for the help skv keith

Wazoo
    I did'nt see that you said anything about the size or type of boat you are going to be running it on. I have been running a Johnson V8 for years and have never had any lower unit problems at all. I run a 23 Eliminator Daytona. I really doubt a 300 Merc. would move this big boat like a V8. I can run in the mid 70's. The V8 has big torque. I don't think any outboard wants to run wide open all day long. I have blown up Mercs. just as I have blown up my V8. They all cost out the a$$ to fix. V8 parts are getting harder to find. So keep that in mind. The sound of a outboard 2 stroke v8 is awsome. Al Stoker is the V8 guru if you really want to know the ins and outs of the V8. I have a couple of pics. in the outboard tech forum under pics.Check em out! :sqeyes:

riverbound
    I have had no problems with mine. I keep it at or under 6k RPMs. the motor is actualy set pretty low. It has been a great motor and when it goes Im not exactly sure what I would repower it with. I still think its a great motor and if left alone will run for a long time with little to no problems.

STV_Keith
    Wazoo, how high are you running your gearcase? Propshaft centerline to the bottom of the boat directly in front of it? Are you running a low water pickup?
    If you want to hear a pair of modded, dry stacked V8's a full song (6500rpm), play the video: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=7659106

riverbound
    Wazoo, how high are you running your gearcase? Propshaft centerline to the bottom of the boat directly in front of it? Are you running a low water pickup?
    If you want to hear a pair of modded, dry stacked V8's a full song (6500rpm), play the video: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fusea...ideoid=7659106
    I wish mine sounded like that at 6500rpms the wind or the stereo is the loudest thing on my boat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast