Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: So, what is it that makes an engine accelerate?

Yeah, I know what you were getting at, just busting your butt about calling a straight line(the hyp) an angle.
    BTW, as interesting as I find this, it's giving me flashbacks to my physics, geometry, trigonometry and, worst of all, calculus courses taken 30-something years ago.
    tell me about it ... my brain hurts ... and to think when falling asleep in High School because it was so boring, I didn't know I would have to relearn it in college and then actually want to use it later in life ... :messedup:

Norseman
    tell me about it ... my brain hurts ... and to think when falling asleep in High School because it was so boring, I didn't know I would have to relearn it in college and then actually want to use it later in life ... :messedup:
    What's scary is that we actually want to use it!!!!!
    I never believed the teachers that said that one day this stuff would be useful. But I knew everything when I was in high school.
    My kids don't believe me that they will need it later either!!!
    Of course now they can use programable calculators and computers to work the numbers. We weren't so lucky back in the day!!!

My kids don't believe me that they will need it later either!!!
    Tell me about it ... they think I'm the uncool one!
    My son is 11 now ... wait 5 more years ... he'll be all up in my garage ... and I'll have to kick his ass!

Are you only talking about reciprocating and valve geometry or will you let the fuel to air ratio factor in?....Steve

LakesOnly
    What is it about an engine that makes it accelerate? Why does one engine accelerate better, or faster than another comparable engine from point A to point B? Is it horsepower? Torque? Both? Neither? :idea:Neither. For me, it's usually that large breasted woman onshore and looking at my boat that gets my motor runnin' hard... http://southwindjetboats.com/forum/u...ns/boobies.gif
    LO
    p.s. Sorry 'Comp... ...Friday night, ya know...

Norseman
    Tell me about it ... they think I'm the uncool one!
    My son is 11 now ... wait 5 more years ... he'll be all up in my garage ... and I'll have to kick his ass!
    I've been trying to get my 11 year old into the garage to work on a couple of projects. So far no good. I'm sure he'll get into it shortly.
    His sister is 15 and just wants to see a finished convert in the driveway with her name on it... :cry: :cry:

Bobbo541
    Dam i got a headache just reading this.

steelcomp
    I'm Baa-aack! Wow. you guys been busy...talkin a lot of jibberish.
    Brian, don't lecture me, junior. All your engineering ain't going to impress me.
    Intake
    Compression
    Power
    Exhaust
    Two of these are trying to create the third, and one is a result of three.
    Does anyone know what was behind Bill Elliot's domination when he ran his million dollar year?
    How about Bob Glidden's Boss 429 based, record shattering pro stock days?
    The two have a very common denominator.
    It's in the power stroke.
    Sure, the intake has to be "effecient", and the squeez is important, but the combustion process, and what takes place in that chamber when the mix is fired, is really all that matters. Figure out how to control that, and make it do what you want it to do, and the rest is elementary. Long rod, short rod, it dosen't matter...you can tailor intake and exhaust to acomodate both, but what you can't do, is allow enough time at TDC, on the compression stroke, to do what needs to be done, with a rod ratio in the 1.5-1.6 range, no matter how good it sucks.
    Brian, you read what I sent you on Pro Stock Motor...did you take a minute to compute the compression on that motor?

steelcomp
    the connecting rod length is the hypotenuse of a triangle
    BTW...this is your quote, saying that the rod length, not angle, was the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the three points of piston pin c/l, rod journal c/l, and main journal c/l, as in Mike F's diagram. Again, not always true, and the time in degrees of rotation that it is true is directly proportional to the ratio of the rod/stroke. I'm sure there's a formula somewhere that would tell exactly at what degree the crank needs to be at, depending on the stroke, and length of the rod, for it to become the hypo. of the triangle.

Moneypitt
    Basically what makes an engine rev is AIR......Everything is associated with the amount of air you can pull through an engine. The more AIR you pull, the more it wants, until terminal velocity is attained, end of acceleration........MP

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast