Thread: 460 Ford problem Please help!!!

76 Sleekcraft
    This is the first big block ford I have ever owned and I am having one hell of a problmem with it.
    It is squirting oil out from around the Distributor! I have replaced the o ring with one from the Ford dealer, and it is still doing the same thing.
    THe motor runs great and it has about 55 psi at wot. It is also shooting some out the dipstick. I have checked and replaced the PCV valve. I am at a loss, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    It sucks having a boat that blows oil all over everything.

hack job
    i would replace your pcv with a breather it would seem that you are not getting enough crank case ventalation or you might have put too much oil in !i would put in two breathers one one each side. pcv valves are not efective after idle! just my .02! good luck! wink

Hallett19
    yeah, sounds like you have too much oil in there or something, the crank case could be a possibility, but I don't know.... I say too much oil.

Froggystyle
    Crankcase pressure isn't magic... it comes from somewhere. I would check your compression and see if you have lost some rings or something. If you find low compression in one or two cylinders, you can squirt a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder to check if it is the ring or not. If it is the ring, the oil will seal it for the test and you will have high compression again. If not, it is a valve.
    If you are squirting out of the distributor, dipstick tube and anywhere else, you need to find out where that pressure is coming from. It is not normal.

78Eliminator
    Froggystyle:
    Crankcase pressure isn't magic... it comes from somewhere. I would check your compression and see if you have lost some rings or something. If you find low compression in one or two cylinders, you can squirt a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinder to check if it is the ring or not. If it is the ring, the oil will seal it for the test and you will have high compression again. If not, it is a valve.
    If you are squirting out of the distributor, dipstick tube and anywhere else, you need to find out where that pressure is coming from. It is not normal.Yeah, I have/had the same problem. I spoke with Froggy about it on the phone (he knows my setup) and checked a few things which he suggested and here is what I found:
    1. I had too much oil in the crank case: I had a bunch of float issues with my carbs and it was flooding out my engine. It would piss tons of fuel into the cans, after which I would just let it sit over night to let the excess fuel "disappear" from the cylinders. Well, fuel doesn't "disappear". It seeps past your rings and oil seal and eventually comes to rest in your oil pan. During a period of a month or two, constanly flooding out my engine, I must have dumped two to four QUARTS of fuel in my crank case, NO SHIT. I did an oil change and the dipsick shows normal again.
    2. I had bad one way crank case pressure release valves: Froggy suggested I test the valves. I have lines that come off of the valve covers and dump right into the headers. There are one way valves that make sure pressure only comes out of the crank case not back into it from the exhaust pressure. One of them was bad, and I replaced them both.
    3. I had bad gaskets on the valve covers: Nuff said, they're new now.
    Hope this helps.
    Justin

76 Sleekcraft
    Thanks for all of the info. I was lurking around and I just may have discovered the problem. The boat had new valve covers on it. Upon inspecting the push in breather, I found it to be almost completely closed! Couldn't this be the culprit? I'm thinking that there is no where for the crank case to breathe with the breather stopped up.

greg shoemaker
    Pvc at the back of the valve cover. Breather at the front of the valve cover this will also help for better breathing.

Elsinore Cop
    Just bring your boat to Greg and give him a couple grand. That always works

76 Sleekcraft
    This is my first big block ford. I have a 351 in my Ski nautique. I am a chevrolet person.
    This thing has kicked my ass from the start. I think it hates me. Time to look for the "for Sale" signs