Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Prime Rib Roast recipe

48OFF
    No, just do like it says. The key is to not ever open the oven door. You can put a thermo in it after it comes out if you want to make shure. A friend from work has a sister that is a chef at some fancy resteraunt in San Fran , and she did not belive this would work and would not let him wreck her meal ,so they cut the roast in half and cooked it both ways. Hers was f'ed up and he was a hero for the day. She now impresses her friends with her inovative style of Prime rib. I say hit the easy button.

Phat Matt
    No, just do like it says. The key is to not ever open the oven door. You can put a thermo in it after it comes out if you want to make shure. A friend from work has a sister that is a chef at some fancy resteraunt in San Fran , and she did not belive this would work and would not let him wreck her meal ,so they cut the roast in half and cooked it both ways. Hers was f'ed up and he was a hero for the day. She now impresses her friends with her inovative style of Prime rib. I say hit the easy button.
    Sounds easy but I know I would want to open the door because I can't!

Not So Fast
    I usually use a Farber Ware rotissarie (sp) for Prime rib roasts. Time depends on the dia. of the roast but generally they take about 2&1/2 hrs and turns out great. For seasoning I use Montreal seasoning and thats it, never had a bad one and boy does it smell good while cooking. FarberWares are fantastic and so simple. Good luck, NSF

INSman
    Gas, Electric no diff ?!? This doesn't work out and I'm coming to visit you in
    Coeur D Alene

acatitude
    This works for any size roast any kind. You do all the fancy stuff to it like rolling or covering it in rock salt,special herbs,ect ect if you want or just put it in, or on a roasting pan. This is the part that is hard to understand how it works but it does.
    1 Put it in oven preheated to 375. Cook for 1 hour and turn off oven, and do not open the oven ever.(The roast must be in for at least 2 hours and up to 5 this way with the oven off) 2 One hour before you want to eat turn oven back on at 300 for 45 minutes. Then take out of oven and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving and it will be perfectly medium rare no matter what size roast you have. I have done 20+ prime ribs this way from 2 pounders up to a 26 pound monster. 3 If you have someone that does not like a perfectly done prime rib just put their piece into the micro for a minute to get rid of the pink for them. Dont try to put the whole thing in longer as it screws it up. My mom found this recipe from a cookbook I think named Colorado Cashe or something like that. It works everytime.
    ok your saying cook for 1 hour.
    turn off oven and let roast sit in there for 2-5 hrs
    then recook for 45 min at 300 before eating?
    and regardless of whether it sits in an off oven for 2 or 5 hours it will be cooked the same???

SummitKarl
    Anyone got the killer fool-proof recipe ?!? Where is A Catered Life when you need him :idea:
    Tried a few and never had it come out bad, but never great either
    yea, I got a great great recipe
    cook it till the thermometer says 155........ then call me

franky
    Insman,
    Don't you have a rotisserie on your big baller Viking BBQ? Rub with olive oil, good seasoning, lots of coarse ground pepper, mesquite chips in the smoker box and let her rip.
    Just remember to take it off before it is done, it keeps cooking. That and a deep fried turkey, yum!

INSman
    Insman,
    Don't you have a rotisserie on your big baller Viking BBQ? Rub with olive oil, good seasoning, lots of coarse ground pepper, mesquite chips in the smoker box and let her rip.
    Just remember to take it off before it is done, it keeps cooking. That and a deep fried turkey, yum!
    Funny you mention this, was thinking of that option myself yet nobody offered up anything other than conventional oven cooking, and no "Baller" Viking BBQ at my place that I am aware of, just a plain old Lynx ProSear

INSman
    yea, I got a great great recipe
    cook it till the thermometer says 155........ then call me
    Always a "giver" Karl, no wonder why I like you

Jerrys59
    Keep it simple.
    Be selective in your cut of meat. Don’t settle for a small sucky end cut. If it looks like shiat when you buy it – it will not taste any better after cooking it. You know when the counter guy sez can I help you with something? Say sure, and find a good cut.
    Rub the roast in olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. If you can get away with it, use lotsa cracked pepper to form a nice crust.
    Bring the roast up to room temp before you cook it (let it set for 2-3 hours, it won’t hurt it) Heat your oven to the point it almost burns the house down; sear the roast for a ½ hour, then low and slow to your liking.
    Yeah, yeah, slits with garlic cloves, Rosemary, other things. Don’t need em. The flavor comes from the cut of meat itself, not all the garbage you stick into or on it.
    And for god’s sake, do not keep poking it or opening the oven. Use a meat thermometer, put it in and leave it alone, that’s what the window is for on the oven.
    Cooking is one of my hobbies too
    Sounds good! About the same way I do mine. Also done it in my smoker and they really taste good.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast