Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pan Windage Trays ?

steelcomp
    i've had problems with the dooley pans on chevy's. windage is a problem with that style of tray. oil control at high rpms is an issue.
    also, whatever you do, find out what angle your boat runs at, the angle the engine is installed at, then simulate it on the bench with the oil pan. i guarantee that if you put 10 quarts of oil in that pan it will come above the windage tray once the engine is in the boat and the crank will fling that oil all over the place when the engine is running. i wouldnt put more than 7.5 or 8 quarts of oil in that pan with an engine installed at 4-5 degrees (same angle as jet pump).At 6000-7000 rpm how many quarts of oil do you think are actually in the pan?
    The flat steel windage trays are a waste of time and power. They reflect more oil back onto the crank than they do protecting it. Picture in your mind the amount of oil coming off the crank at 5000-6000 (or more) rpm and what that looks like being thrown against a steel plate only inches away from the crank. That's a huge drag on the crank, trying to spin in all that oil. Better off leaving it out, and running a quart or two less. You'll do better by lowering the oil level as far away from the crank as you can.
    Even with the Dan Olson pan on my BB Chev, there was some excessive oil pressure fluctuation from 6000-7000. We ended up taking a quart out of the pan and that solved the problem, Also freed up measurable HP. Nice thing about a dyno is you can look at a graph of your oil pressure

Squirtin Thunder
    I am sure glad I did as my friend said. Great info !

Sleeper CP
    I am sure glad I did as my friend said. Great info !
    Which was
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Squirtin Thunder
    Which was
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    Leaving that Damn Tray out !

widowmaker
    must be a ford thing. with my chevy's and that pan, right at 6,800 rpm the oil pressure fluctuated 10-20psi....i believe Widowmaker had the same problem with his 502..
    Exactly, mine is a canton, basically the same deal, full length box pan, I even got creative and got a special windage screen tray from moroso and spent a lot of time fitting it as close as possible to the crank, but even so on the dyno right at 6400 rpms oil pressure dropped 20psi...... I stopped messing around and went ahead and ordered a custom made pan from Chris Straub. End of story.

I stopped messing around and went ahead and ordered a custom made pan from Chris Straub. End of story.
    show off

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    show off
    But then again, thats the way Chris Rolls

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    I stopped messing around and went ahead and ordered a custom made pan from Chris Straub. End of story.
    So what did the new pan do for ya??????

At 6000-7000 rpm how many quarts of oil do you think are actually in the pan?
    The flat steel windage trays are a waste of time and power. They reflect more oil back onto the crank than they do protecting it. Picture in your mind the amount of oil coming off the crank at 5000-6000 (or more) rpm and what that looks like being thrown against a steel plate only inches away from the crank. That's a huge drag on the crank, trying to spin in all that oil. Better off leaving it out, and running a quart or two less. You'll do better by lowering the oil level as far away from the crank as you can.
    Even with the Dan Olson pan on my BB Chev, there was some excessive oil pressure fluctuation from 6000-7000. We ended up taking a quart out of the pan and that solved the problem, Also freed up measurable HP. Nice thing about a dyno is you can look at a graph of your oil pressure
    ....Steel, What do yo think the reason was for the oil pressure fluctuation. Possibly foaming? Obviously the pick was always submerged.
    I am looking at different oil pumps .......Possibly some correlation?
    ....steve

River Rat 005
    I drive a big truck and when the fuel guy puts to much oil in it, the oil pressure will dip below 30# for to long and shut the engine off. When it does this, I drive it slower to keep the pressure up until I can have the excess drained out. The crank foaming the oil causes the problem.
    I must have done some thing right on my pan. When I put this engine in my hydro, I made my own pan. I cut off the front part of a stock pan and welded a box on. I put in a baffle with a trap door. The flat windage tray is within 1/16" of the baffle. It holds 8 quarts to the bottom of the tray, but I run 7. I run this thing to 7400 rpm and have had it to 8000 with no pressure loss. On a hard back down the pressure drops to 5 to 10#. I've tallked to guys with manufactured pans that lose this much. I ease out of it and keep the pressure up to 25 to 30#.
    Tim

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast