Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: pulling the motor

BLEWBAYOU1
    By the looks of the two remaining bolt holes, there was movement, as in loose bolts. That would cause the fatigue in the metal that is missing. Just my 4cents (inflation).
    Brian

I think Ill just look for one some were and make sure they are tight and the motor/drive alignment is right first. Plus Ive seen worse.

deltarat
    I think Ill just look for one some were and make sure they are tight and the motor/drive alignment is right first. Plus Ive seen worse.
    And what would that be?

And what would that be?
    the pieces in your garage.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
    Hey dave when cars break flexplates, it is normally dowl pin missing in block or pushed in too far.
    BIG JOE SSMF

Icarus prospector
    Had that happen in a pickup years ago. Going along and then the engine was just too responsive to the pedal as I casted to a stop, still in Drive... Turned out that though the bolts were tight, the flexplate was cocked and there she went. These days I'm all about Loctite and wiring.
    Looking at your coupler, I'd go with loose bolts.

Robbie Racer
    Dave, I almost had the same thing happen to my coupler a couple of years back. Luckily we caught it when there were just cracks around all the bolt holes before it actually broke when we pulled the motor for a refresh. At that time I found out that my drive and motor weren't aligned just right. Since then, we have realigned and I haven't had any further problems. You might want to check your alignment to see if that could be a cause.
    BTW, I'm pulling my motor too (on Friday) for a refreshening with new rings and bearings. It should be back in and ready to go for the first lunch run in the spring.
    Good luck with your motor. Keith

RACER52
    Loctite. ( red ) should be lots on those. When I took mine it did not come off easy.
    Make sure the coupler you put back on is the h.d. version. they have some low h.p. versions since all the sbc and bbc have the same bolt pattern.
    Racer

Boatmaster
    Sorry I did not see this post on Friday Dave. Would have liked to help and steal some of your free beer!!! I also have a good used and new coupler if the other one is the wrong one.

Dave, I almost had the same thing happen to my coupler a couple of years back. Luckily we caught it when there were just cracks around all the bolt holes before it actually broke when we pulled the motor for a refresh. At that time I found out that my drive and motor weren't aligned just right. Since then, we have realigned and I haven't had any further problems. You might want to check your alignment to see if that could be a cause.
    BTW, I'm pulling my motor too (on Friday) for a refreshening with new rings and bearings. It should be back in and ready to go for the first lunch run in the spring.
    Good luck with your motor. Keith
    Thanks Keith I will do that.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast