Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: what ski/race boats competed against Schiadas in 80's and 90's?

flatties forever
    I'm in the reasearch stage of my next boat. Grew up with flatties and I'm currently in the tow boat phase with kids. I'm nearly done (bored) and want to get back to my roots but want to go a bit bigger and more comfortable in the rough stuff.
    I've always loved the Schiada 21 River Cruiser but I don't want to limit myself then hate myself later about "the one that got away".. I'm going to be in the 40K range money wise, so I know I'm going to be buying something 15 plus years old-ish.. What other boats should I be looking at??
    What other boats competed with RC's (ski/race) in that era? Any pics or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Boat is going to be a sleeper (mostly covered engine and seating for 5-ish etc) I want a big inch naturally aspirated motor. HAS to be v-drive. I don't like outdrives. Most of these I'm seeing are blown or turbo'd but I don't want to work (or spend!) that hard on it. Were there any classes for NA boats???
    Sorry for the wordy request but I've been absolutely blown away by the knowledge, experience and kindness on these boards. I thought I was fairly good with boats, but have realized that I am just a squid. I look forward to your suggestions.

Riverkid
    Hallett's, Spectra's, Rayson Craft... Quite a few past the Schiada's...

84 cougar
    Halletts, Schiadas,Rayson Crafts, Sanger,Connolly, all made great cruisers.I think Hallett, Schiada, and then Rayson seemed to be the most common in the racing seen. If your in the $40K range i would look closely at the russian roulet boat. Twin tubo bbc absolutely fricken awesome boat. You'll need to modify the interior and add a back seat, but would be an incredible boat for lake family hot rodding imo.. my father had a nice rayson w/blown bbc.he now has a very prettysanger that is most likely to be up for sale. This boat had a lot of money spent getting the bottom competitive, as it was used for ski racing. now has a delta pad on the bottom. these ride good in the water, however a little rougher than the others, but you in imo get more style, and seating for 8.I thinks his will be going for around $23,000 complete, and many other motor options.
    I am partial to rayson and sanger looks, however, they are all great boats. Good luck w/your search, and post if you want any more info

flatties forever
    Hallett's, Spectra's, Rayson Craft... Quite a few past the Schiada's...
    Those are brands that I suspected but I don't know models to look for. Eg: 21 River Cruiser. Pics are appreciated!!!

flatties forever
    Halletts, Schiadas,Rayson Crafts, Sanger,Connolly, all made great cruisers.I think Hallett, Schiada, and then Rayson seemed to be the most common in the racing seen. If your in the $40K range i would look closely at the russian roulet boat. Twin tubo bbc absolutely fricken awesome boat. You'll need to modify the interior and add a back seat, but would be an incredible boat for lake family hot rodding imo.. my father had a nice rayson w/blown bbc.he now has a very prettysanger that is most likely to be up for sale. This boat had a lot of money spent getting the bottom competitive, as it was used for ski racing. now has a delta pad on the bottom. these ride good in the water, however a little rougher than the others, but you in imo get more style, and seating for 8.I thinks his will be going for around $23,000 complete, and many other motor options.
    I am partial to rayson and sanger looks, however, they are all great boats. Good luck w/your search, and post if you want any more info
    Cougar--
    I loved the Rayson flatties back in the day. Would be very interested in Raysons ski/race stuff. The Ruskie boat sounds nice but the whole Twin Turbo BBC spooks me. It's not just de-tuning the engine. The gears would probably be wrong in the box, the prop "just needs to be changed". New frames,mounts, upholstery, flooring etc... I'm going to avoid that can of financial woop ass this time around, if I can.. Your dads Sanger... I'm from Fresno, so I know Sanger. Love the heritage and history. What would the Pad on the bottom do as far as stability. Is it weight/balance sensitive? Does it "fall off the pad" if the balance isn't just right??Interesting though. Any pics?

Riverkid
    Those are brands that I suspected but I don't know models to look for. Eg: 21 River Cruiser. Pics are appreciated!!!
    With this.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1195958031
    And this Rayson with the Brummett next door is pretty sick too...
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1195958276

Bullmoose
    Where are you located Flatties Forever? I know of a 22 Schiada w a 427 Ford
    thats on the Market.

flatties forever
    thats on the Market.
    I'm in Cen Cal (Fresno). Might be a little premature for me yet Bullmoose...I'm still trying to gather info and I have to sell my just paid off (what's wrong with me??) 2002 Wakeboard boat. Unless it's the perfect boat...??? I guess I could pull money from the house then pay it back when I sell the tow boat... Jeezz..
    Is this how it starts?? A post on the board. Pretty pictures to follow it up. My interest peaks, then straight off the cliff. Swan dive. Lucky my wife is patient..

flatties forever
    thats on the Market.
    What's the difference between the 22 and the 21?? Seems like more freeboard from my memory but I'm wondering about width and interior room. Is there more?? That would be good. I need a place for the cooler.

flatties forever
    [QUOTE=Riverkid;2909836]With this.
    And this Rayson with the Brummett next door is pretty sick too...
    Thanks RK,
    Keep the pics coming!!! The Rayson looks nice. What's the white boat?? Kinda Nordskog-ish with the driver dash canopy thing..

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast