Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stem cell research

Old Texan
    If I was mega rich, as the question asks, I'd be giving money to both. The best scientists money can buy aren't always the best scientists.
    Bush veto'd it so it must be bad
    "The best scientists money can buy aren't always the best scientists."
    So let's get this straight. You are rich beyond all others, sick and dying from a thus far incurable disease, you have the ability to scour the world and hire the best scientists and medical researchers available, BUT you can't admit that you would do everything with your wealth to insure you have the best to find YOUR cure?????????????
    Why aren't the highest paid the best? You have the money and the power to get the best by giving them whatever they want and need to perform the research to find YOUR cure. Why aren't you hiring the best recruiters to get you the best scientists???????
    Giving money to institutions that may or may not produce the best results when you have the opportunity with YOUR wealth to fund the best???????
    Now I've heard it all, you would allow yourself to perhaps die rather than agree with me that given all the resources in the world, it would be best to help yourself by establishing the most effective and efficient medical research team and facility in the world to save your own asse. Rely on the government to fund the research that holds YOUR life it it's hands, OH puhlease.......And then somehow blame it on Bush.........
    Ultra I think you've been out in the sun too long there Bud.....:devil:

ULTRA26 # 1
    "The best scientists money can buy aren't always the best scientists."
    So let's get this straight. You are rich beyond all others, sick and dying from a thus far incurable disease, you have the ability to scour the world and hire the best scientists and medical researchers available, BUT you can't admit that you would do everything with your wealth to insure you have the best to find YOUR cure?????????????
    Why aren't the highest paid the best? You have the money and the power to get the best by giving them whatever they want and need to perform the research to find YOUR cure. Why aren't you hiring the best recruiters to get you the best scientists???????
    Giving money to institutions that may or may not produce the best results when you have the opportunity with YOUR wealth to fund the best???????
    Now I've heard it all, you would allow yourself to perhaps die rather than agree with me that given all the resources in the world, it would be best to help yourself by establishing the most effective and efficient medical research team and facility in the world to save your own asse. Rely on the government to fund the research that holds YOUR life it it's hands, OH puhlease.......And then somehow blame it on Bush.........
    Ultra I think you've been out in the sun too long there Bud.....:devil:
    What was my answer Tex?

Old Texan
    What was my answer Tex?
    That you'd give money to both. You made no clear choice.

ULTRA26 # 1
    That you'd give money to both. You made no clear choice.
    Question for ya.... If you have a serious disease which doesn't have a cure and you are mega rich, who are you going to give your money to for the development of a cure, the best research scientists money can buy or turn your bucks over to a government grant facility on some name campus or foundation using grad assistants and tenured professors?
    Your question didn't ask for a clear choice Many of the best cancer doctors and facilities are involved with University medical centers. The best research developments are not necessarily coming from the high dollar private facilities. Bottom line it that if I contract a decease that has no cure, chances are it's over, and all the money in the world isn't going to change that.
    Sorry my answer isn't to your liking.

Old Texan
    Your question didn't ask for a clear choice Many of the best cancer doctors and facilities are involved with University medical centers. The best research developments are not necessarily coming from the high dollar private facilities. Bottom line it that if I contract a decease that has no cure, chances are it's over, and all the money in the world isn't going to change that.
    Sorry my answer isn't to your liking.
    The whole point goes back to your idea that government funding is necessary for research. My position is the private sector has plenty of money and can do the job without government intervention. As ES pointed out, keeping the government bureaucracy away is in itself a better position.
    You started this whole conversation by saying stem cell research needed to be advanced and the government should step in with funding. CC stated his point from a moral view and that alone indicates we need to keep government out of it. If stem cell research is as important as many including yourself think it is, why not allow the private sector to fund it and have the versatility to move operations offshore if govenment and moralistic concerns stifle the research.

ULTRA26 # 1
    The whole point goes back to your idea that government funding is necessary for research. My position is the private sector has plenty of money and can do the job without government intervention. As ES pointed out, keeping the government bureaucracy away is in itself a better position.
    You started this whole conversation by saying stem cell research needed to be advanced and the government should step in with funding. CC stated his point from a moral view and that alone indicates we need to keep government out of it. If stem cell research is as important as many including yourself think it is, why not allow the private sector to fund it and have the versatility to move operations offshore if govenment and moralistic concerns stifle the research.
    I think that the private sector should be funding and I don't want to see it moved offshore. However, I think Federal funding is also needed. As you know there have been recent developments that for the most part, should quiet moralistic concerns. Again, clearly we don't agree that some Federal funding could benefit the program. Not the end of the world.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345