Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shot my friends .50 today... get ready for some muzzle blast!!!!

beaverretriever
    What is it doing exactly? You say it won't chamber another round...is the bolt hung on the next round in the mag and won't strip it or where in the cycle? Does the spent round extract and eject?
    Love the .50 vid. My dad has a Steyr HS-50. Beautiful rifle. I've been looking at the AR50 myself, due to cost. Also looked at the LAR Grizzly 50 and the Serbu 50. Not sure yet, but need to get one before the damn Dems start banning them.
    What up Homie? Sorry we didn't get to hang today.
    The cartridge will not extract. I have to pull the charging handle to extract the shell.
    I know it is not the mag or ammo. Everything seems to be working ok. I think it is the gas tube alignment.
    I think you can get the Armalite for around 2500-3000.00. Unfortunately, I have about 25 guns I want to buy right now, but the 5oh is on my list.

STV_Keith
    Did anyone watch the bolt while you were trying to shoot it? Sounds like a short stroke - the bolt doesn't get far enough back to completely extract the shell, so the spring pushes the bolt back forward.
    As diagnosed above, most likely either gas tube alignment issue or the gas hole in the barrel needs to be bigger, giving the bolt a harder shove. Also as mentioned, more common on shorter barrels/gas systems.
    The 50 is on my relatively short list, as I can see them getting banned sooner than later. Lots of other stuff on my gotta-have-it list as well.
    We'll have to get together and sling some lead in the future.

beaverretriever
    Did anyone watch the bolt while you were trying to shoot it? Sounds like a short stroke - the bolt doesn't get far enough back to completely extract the shell, so the spring pushes the bolt back forward.
    As diagnosed above, most likely either gas tube alignment issue or the gas hole in the barrel needs to be bigger, giving the bolt a harder shove. Also as mentioned, more common on shorter barrels/gas systems.
    The 50 is on my relatively short list, as I can see them getting banned sooner than later. Lots of other stuff on my gotta-have-it list as well.
    We'll have to get together and sling some lead in the future.
    That is exactly what is happening.
    Yeah, you know about all those murders here in the U.S. with .50 cals. What a joke huh?

LakeTrash
    500 yards with a M14, open sights, was part of qualifying in the Marine Corps during the 60s. You cannot see the center ring bullseye but you know it is in the middle of the rings you can see. I saw many guys put 10 in the black.
    LT

Tom Olson
    NICE!!!! They are a lot of fun. I am going to buy one here pretty soon.
    I got to dial in my newly built AR as well. For some reason it wont cycle though. I can squeeze off one shot and that is all. It wont chamber another. Any ideas?
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2228/...c5bcf4.jpg?v=0
    check where the gas tube enters the bolt carrier,Ive had that come loose before, 2 staked screws hold it in place

Riverkid
    or just change out the bolt from one of your other AR's as a quick test...

Fast Freddy
    500 yards with a M14, open sights, was part of qualifying in the Marine Corps during the 60s. You cannot see the center ring bullseye but you know it is in the middle of the rings you can see. I saw many guys put 10 in the black.
    LT
    i own and shoot two national match M1A's chambered in .308 caliber. these are essentially the semi-auto versions of the full auto M14's that the military uses. they are my favorite rifles that i own. their accuracy is amazing considering that they are semi-automatic rifles. at 385 meters (421 yards) yards i have shot a turkey sized target 7X in a row shooting with the iron sights and a bipod from a prone position. at 100 yards from a bench and a rest i have shot a 5 shot group that measured 1-1/8''. here is a pic of that very target i shot, again with no scope, open iron sights only for me. i purposely had this group sighted in high on the target so as to not shoot out my aiming point so i could judge this particular ammos accuracy with my gun. it is federal's gold medal match load which utilizes sierras 168 grain boat tail hollow point bullet......

Keith E. Sayre
    My son and I went out yesterday up above Bisorn here in Havasu and tried to
    knock the mountain down with a couple of 22's, a 357 mag, 2 30-30's and a couple of 30.06's. then my friend Jon Hughes breaks out his Barrett 50
    and although I've shot it before, it never ceases to amaze me how loud
    and thundering that thing is. Everyone at their spot on the hill, simply
    stops and stares with this blank expression on their face!

Fast Freddy
    My son and I went out yesterday up above Bisorn here in Havasu and tried to
    knock the mountain down with a couple of 22's, a 357 mag, 2 30-30's and a couple of 30.06's. then my friend Jon Hughes breaks out his Barrett 50
    and although I've shot it before, it never ceases to amaze me how loud
    and thundering that thing is. Everyone at their spot on the hill, simply
    stops and stares with this blank expression on their face!
    .50's kick my ass. i wear ear plugs and ear muffs when i shoot my barrett. in addition to wearing my protective shooting glasses i wear a bandana on my face because i shoot left handed and my gun bein semi-auto will sometimes throw the cartridges at my face. 200+ grains of gun powder makes for one hot piece of brass that will weld itself to your face when it is lit off and thrown back at you.

Sleeper CP
    You didn't do this did you
    http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...=50caliber.flv
    Ouch.... that hurt:jawdrop:
    I had the oppertunity to shoot my friends 10 years ago in Nevada. We were shooting 1 and 5 gallon water bottles at 300 and 500 yards. Also shot a M-60 that day... bad ass gun that is.
    Sound is important on this one
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123