Thread: decent price on a pair of rayjay turbos

IMPATIENT 1
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rajay...ategoryZ38634Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    looked like a good price on a set. housings look small though. are the rayjays self contained, no external oilling source needed?

N281PONY
    I don't know about all of Rayjays but those require an external oil supply

DetroitJim
    Those are comparable to a T04B, good for about 400 horsepower each. Rajays are very compact, the center section is narrower than a Garrett or Turbonetics. Rajays were used a lot on aircraft and the older Banks kits used them. I just sold a set recently.

78DiMarco
    I purchased a pair from Turbonetics (they bought RayJay) about a year ago or so and they were about $450 each new. There is a difference in the old style and the new style. The old models that I think are like the ones on eBay have a 3/8 inch bypass in the housing to let excess pressure through to the exaust. The new models I have don't have the bypass holes and will create more boost so I added wastegates to control the presure.
    Yes these do require an oil source and a drain from each turbo to the pan. I didn't see the oil drain and oil line fittings in the eBay pictures so you may need some additional parts. I used my old oil lines and drains on the new turbo's and had them customized to use braided drain lines $.
    If you look close at the pictures you can see the yellow plastic plugs covering the drain holes. The oil input is on the other side on top.
    Good luck.

obnoxious001
    The old models that I think are like the ones on eBay have a 3/8 inch bypass in the housing to let excess pressure through to the exaust. The new models I have don't have the bypass holes and will create more boost so I added wastegates to control the presure.
    The bypass holes were added by the different people selling them, either Banks, PFM or Race Aero, perhaps a couple of others. When I worked for Gale Banks we had fixtures with drill guides, 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8", depending on what level of boost was needed for a specific kit or engine.