Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Data Recorder Problems - Edelbrock

Willis
    November 27, 2007
    Hello people,
    Just wanted to ask if any racers are using Edelbrock Data recorders?
    Are you having any problems with the data unit recording the whole run, part of the pass or just cuts off when itÂ’s triggered to start recording?
    I'm using 5 pressure sensors and 8 egt's, plus the standard internal, battery, rpm

bp
    last year i had problems after beating the crap out of it for 5 years, so gave it to jack and have had no problems since. i have mine set up to record when i have a switch turned on, and stop recording when the switch is off, rather than an "auto" start with one of the pressure sensors. you -could- be experiencing some problems with the pins, or some other electrical connections. i'd take it to jack and have him check it out.

Willis
    bp,
    Jack sent it back to Edelbrock and they move everything around four channels and Jack reset the box, tested fine.
    Jack gave it back to me and told me what they did.
    It recorded two runs and then stopped recording again 29 second into the run.
    Now Edelbrock is telling me that I have EMI problems.
    The box worked fine with all the egts until I added the last two of five pressure sensors.

Have you tried mounting the box in a different spot? I know its a hassle but its probably something you need to try. Ive had similar problems in the past since then I put my data system in an aluminum enclosure and have not had a problem since.
    Take a look at one of the recent runs that cut out, what was the voltage just before it stopped logging? Also look at whatever is telling it to start logging, could be something there. 99% of the problems I have had were very simple things in the setup file, take a good look at everything in the setup.

Willis
    Chris
    I made an aluminum box for the data recorder and shorten the wires to the pressure sensors. Checked the sensors in real time to see if they were wired correctly and reinstalled.
    The enclosure houses both the Edelbrock and all the pressure sensors. The egt’s and third thermocouple wires are kind of lengthy thou.
    I moved the data box away from the ignition source and the battery. There is a set of MSD wires that are designed to mitigate EMI fields and I will try those.

what is the voltage just before the data logger sh*ts out?

bp
    bp,
    Jack sent it back to Edelbrock and they move everything around four channels and Jack reset the box, tested fine.
    Jack gave it back to me and told me what they did.
    It recorded two runs and then stopped recording again 29 second into the run.
    Now Edelbrock is telling me that I have EMI problems.
    The box worked fine with all the egts until I added the last two of five pressure sensors.
    i only have 4 pressure sensors, but i have my box mounted as far as i can get it from any other electrical source that could create emi. i'd also suggest checking voltage, but i'd still take it over to jack as it sounds like something simple. easy for someone to say "emi" without them really looking at the thing to diagnose the problem, since the boxes are known to be affected by that. but if it was really emi, you wouldn't have recorded 2 runs plus another 29 seconds, and then have it quit altogether.

Willis
    what is the voltage just before the data logger sh*ts out?
    The voltage when the unit first starts to record is 16.52, when the 5 pressure sensors kick in the voltage drops to 16.29, then the egt's start to rise and the voltage drops to 16.04 or so.
    At the red line near the end on the rightside, you clearly see something started to draw more current with a sharp draw!(Battery at the top blue line)
    http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...9/Run%2058.jpg

bp
    i only have a 12 volt system, so the highest my voltage trace ever gets is around 13.9. that doesn't look like a big draw to me; you should see some of mine when the n2 solonoids open but it does look like voltage flatlined for a second or two before the end of the trace.

I know what you mean about the solenoids having a big draw. i talked to wilson about that, the big noids' like i have draw a stupid amount of amps, need good grounds.
    Looks like its not a voltage problem although its just about impossible to see the data you posted.
    Willis do you only monitor engine data? What tells the data system to start and stop logging?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast