Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure Gauges

GAWnCA
    Where's the best place to buy a water and fuel pressure gauges and not going to the dash, where's the best place to mount them in the engine area? What's the maximum pressure settings for both? Ford 460 Motor.

GAWnCA
    Did this question stump the pros?

Sleeper CP
    Did this question stump the pros?
    No where near a pro, but check out a NAPA parts store.
    They carry heavy duty guages for tractors and construction equipment. VDO and other's. You can probably buy a dual gauge mount and place it somewhere on the front of the engine. Other than that look at a Summit or Jeg's catalog.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

Moneypitt
    Carbed, the fuel pressure gauges are usually 0-15, with 4-7 being ideal for most carb'd applications, EFI gauges should go to 65 or so, some go to 100 but you'll seldom see 65PSI.....Water pressure, I never worry about it in a boat. Water temp yes, pressure no......Some here install pressure regulators on their jets and worry about pressure because of poorly sealed/gasketed engines. A decent built engine could care less about jet pressure thru a 1/2 pipe fitting, split in half, pushed thru the motor and out......A jet will show you where your weaknesses are in plumbing, but after it comes out of the jet everything up stream is bigger and freer flowing.......At least it should be......If you try to dump all the water thru the header trees, yeah, you'll create some back pressure, so add a couple of dumps......Fast moving water doesn't take as much heat with it as slow moving water, and jets, in my experience, always seem to run cold......No, I don't run a thermostat, never have, but I also don't run in super cold water......Biggest water problem for me is the drippers in the headers. Always seem to drip too much inside the boat even with 2 additional 5/8ths dumps..........Anything else?.......MP

Moneypitt
    Oh yeah, where to mount them?........Get creative... I put 2, mechanical oil, and mech temp in the kick board in front of the engine. The same board that guards against a passenger sticking their toes in the Alt belt. Yes, I have to turn around and look down to check them, but they are only a back up to the electric gauges on the dash.......Get creative, mount them on the motor somewhere.....That requires liquid/oil filled gauges because of vibration...Get creative.........Now explain why you want water pressure gauged......MP

Liquid filled small diameter pressure gauges bottom of this page.
    http://www.rexmar.com/page199.html

Havasu Hangin'
    I had one of these from Summit on my old boat:
    http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../sum-g3120.jpg
    Worked great.

Moneypitt
    I had one of these from Summit on my old boat:
    http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../sum-g3120.jpg
    Worked great.
    Yeah those work bitchen if you're standing beside the boat. You must be able to monitor from the driver's seat or the gauge is useless for anything other than looks.........MP

GAWnCA
    What is the ideal water pressure?

GAWnCA
    What is the benefit of an oil filled gauge?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast