Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pressure Gauges

franky
    What is the benefit of an oil filled gauge?
    They don't get trashed by the vibration, especially if mounted on the engine.

GAWnCA
    They don't get trashed by the vibration, especially if mounted on the engine.
    Thanks!! I never though about that.

Moneypitt
    What is the ideal water pressure?
    Well an automotive pressure cap is rated between 9 and 15 Lbs. Depending on the era of the radiator. Remember, radiator pressure is to raise the boiling point of the water, as well as contain the expansion from heating. Neither applies to a boat unless you have a closed cooling system....I'm surprised none of the regulated pressure jetters here have jumped in. Having never regulated or gauged water pressure I have no idea.....MP

Generally most engines will take somewhere between 20-30 pounds before the intake gaskets give up. I prefer to keep it on the little under 20 side of that range.

Havasu Hangin'
    Yeah those work bitchen if you're standing beside the boat. You must be able to monitor from the driver's seat or the gauge is useless for anything other than looks.........MP
    Where's the best place to buy a water and fuel pressure gauges and not going to the dash, where's the best place to mount them in the engine area?
    :idea:

rrrr
    This is how the oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter are monted on my engine. The guy that built the boat back in the day just freeform cut a piece of aluminum plate and drilled it for the gauges.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1196387945

GAWnCA
    This is how the oil pressure, water temp, and ammeter are monted on my engine. The guy that built the boat back in the day just freeform cut a piece of aluminum plate and drilled it for the gauges.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...1&d=1196387945
    Now that's a good idea but only need fuel and water pressure. But a great idea. BTW - Nice looking engine set up!

BrendellaJet
    ....Some here install pressure regulators on their jets and worry about pressure because of poorly sealed/gasketed engines. A decent built engine could care less about jet pressure thru a 1/2 pipe fitting, split in half, pushed thru the motor and out......A jet will show you where your weaknesses are in plumbing, but after it comes out of the jet everything up stream is bigger and freer flowing.......At least it should be......If you try to dump all the water thru the header trees, yeah, you'll create some back pressure, so add a couple of dumps......
    Most guys running gauges for the water in a jet are running them to make sure that they are running adequate pressure to avoid air/steam pockets in the motor/heads. Lots of pump gas high compression deals out there that need to KNOW that the pressure is not too low & not too high. Very easy to over do it or even under do it in a jet, the gauge makes it easy to tune the setup and also makes it easy to see if there is a problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12