Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's some reading material. . .

IMPATIENT 1
    http://***boat.com/forums/attachment...d=1196442447To much for me to re-read.What will it make with the PRO-Comp heads That is what you have is it not ? Or do you have the Pro Toplines :idea:
    I have suggested a few times to guy's on here the rehermorrison site. If I was a Chevy guy and was starting from scratch I would have a very hard time not buying one of their short blocks or complete engines. The prices are great and they have a hell of a reputation and they have done all of the research :idea: Or you can go out and reinvent the wheel:idea: And spend more money doing it. But, if you already have some of the parts I understand the cost of starting over.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    i have procomps, they're getting flowed. i ran liberator's protopline flow numbers he put on the 1st page of this thread in the pdf file. those are nice heads! i know flow isn't everything but from what i've read on protopline, they make good power too. didn't protopline sell to rhs, then to comp cams?
    yeah, i've already got the balanced 505 kit sitting in my bedroom blocks almost done at the machine shop, when it gets back i'm doin a half fill for alittle added strength since i had it punched 100 over. he sonic tested the block and he said "its a thick ass block" . guess i found a decent 1 this time the last block had a lifter come apart(before i got it), punched a dent in the cam gallery, and when i finally got around to makng a full boost race pass, the water pressuer in the block opened up the dent, filled the block with water
    i haev everything to put the 13 to 1 505 motor together with, just wanting to optimize what i have or upgrade heads and cam. i need a stainless impellor bad so its either run the procomps if they flow good or buy protopline's and wait another yr for a ss impellor

IMPATIENT 1
    The iterator is not really good unless maybe doing a basic package.
    Cam lobes differ within a manufacturer (many different 'families' of lobes) and of course manufacturer to manufacturer.
    Iterator just gives you seat opening/closing numbers, ICL, ECL, and lift values. Too generic for an over acheiving motor !!!
    A 800hp 500cid engine will not remotely make the same power and 'act' the same with the same duration at .050" and same neighborhood of lift from a lobe of each family.
    I'm willing to bet on a high strung 800hp motor that you could have much as a 50hp-70hp difference between one lobe to another, again, even when having similar specs on paper.
    Remember guys, this is not a 500hp 500cid 9:1 motor. Way different story.
    ======================
    Many 'dyno' proven engines are on the money with hp quotes, and many aren't. Sad we have to trust who has an enthusiastic dyno and who doesn't.
    ==============
    Scrolling all the way to right. No smilies. Maybe being blocked by Norton 360 ? Dunno.
    sure, i can understand that. what i was gonna do was let the iterator do its job, take those cam specs and run them on the camquest comp cams sim program.have 2 different sims, build that and hope for the best. i know its not the right way to do it, but its what i can afford and do so its the best bet for me. i used to buy just any camshaft and run it, at least the sim programs give a general idea of what its gonna do:idea:

Sleeper CP
    Thanks for the clairification, I got lost in there somewhere
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

1968Droptop
    1;2919153]http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=44176&d=1196442447
    That pix still makes my stomach churn !!! I hope you figure out what's best for you and your check book.

Sleeper CP
    Droptop,
    Your head flow #'s look fine. When I get back to the office this afternoon
    I'll send you my thought's on them.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

cfm
    Anybody ever read the article I've posted a few times about Pro-Comps' port job ? Here it is.....there version of a port job......in print with pics.
    http://byunspeed.com/Port%20Job.pdf

1968Droptop
    Droptop,
    Your head flow #'s look fine. When I get back to the office this afternoon
    I'll send you my thought's on them.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    Thanks Jon. I rememeber the guy saying there was room for more improvement, but my checkbook didn't agree with him

Sleeper CP
    Thanks Jon. I rememeber the guy saying there was room for more improvement, but my checkbook didn't agree with him
    Those intake #'s of 368 at .750 is that out of the box ? Or has
    much work been done on them?
    Anyway to get over 400 cfm's with them will take some $$$. What were
    you thinking you wanted to spend or do?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

IMPATIENT 1
    droptop, that motor had 6hr on it :sqeyes: believe it or not, nothing other than the block got hurt. piston skirts were fine along with everything else(i was spinnin 7k , 10lbs of boost doin 98gps when block let loose). when i pulled the crank out, it had sand in the oil galleries i recoup'd most of the $$$ i had in that blower motor, bought the 505 kit balanced, bought a new billet dominator , intake, badass nx kit from svtkeith(dude hooked me up! ).so the change up should only cost me @1500 if i stay with these heads.i already had a standard deck and tall deck ready to machine.my tall deck is fresh bored to 100 over, but its got a couple sleeves in it, couldn't bring myself to run it. sure wanted to build a 540 with it but i'd be for sure buyin heads/cam/pushrods/lifters/intake spacers/etc..

1968Droptop
    Those intake #'s of 368 at .750 is that out of the box ? Or has
    much work been done on them?
    Anyway to get over 400 cfm's with them will take some $$$. What were
    you thinking you wanted to spend or do?
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover
    That was not outta the box. They've had some work done to them, but the cost was like $400 total. I don't plan on doing anything with them right now, they're working pretty good with help from Don Hampton . Maybe in the future I'll get 'em worked over real good. Sure can't hurt to have 'em flowing big cfm's !

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast