Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RV's - Opinions/Advice?

MBlaster
    If you like state beaches and national parks don't go too big. I'm at 33 ft and there have been places we couldn't have stayed if we were any longer.
    If you look for a older gasser like my 02 I'd recommend only 1 slide. Slides are very heavy and cut down on your carrying capacity. I drove several 35 foot gassers with 2 slides and they were dogs EMPTY. I could only imagine fully loaded and towing. My 33ft with 1 slide is very quick for a moho, and has a huge carrying capacity. It should do even better with the Banks kit.

OGShocker
    I put around 20,000 miles per year on our coaches. If we were the type of RVers who used our MoHo in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range, I would be a renter.

Super D
    Where did you all purchase yours? New or used?

socalmofo
    I just bought an Used 31' Jayco from 10000 RV in San Diego. Got an incredible finance rate, great price, and also a 4 year additional bumper to bumper warranty included. It is a Class C. I liked driving the Class C better than the Class A. I felt like I was driving a bus!

Ike
    I bought mine at K & C RV in Longmont Co. Just north of Denver. Super dealership. They treated us first class, they even drove my rental car back to the airport for me. They have a great service department as well. They have other dealerships as well. Look them up on the web www.kcrv.com
    Just one added thought, no matter what RV you get. Where are you going to park it? Some towns and cities do not allow them to be parked on the street, some won't even let you store them on your own property. They have to be in an RV park or a storage facility. Most towns don't give a damn where you park it but there a some who are really assholes about it. Check it out.
    One other thought. If you buy new they will try to sell you an extended warranty. If you are just using it occasionally for vacations etc. The extended warranty isn't worth it. If you plan to live in it and keep it for 10 years or so the it is. However, you can get a better extended warranty through Good Sam, or Camping World.

Froggystyle
    Now that I have been in a bunch of them and driven several... I would definitely get another "C". The way it was described to me is that a Class "A" is for two people to live in. If you do a lot of touring and traveling with just you and your wife, a Class A is the deal. Especially if you are going to full time it for a while. They are set up on a bus chassis, and you are really part of the whole rig when you are driving it. Which is good and bad. ANYTHING going on in the rig affects the driver. In ours, you just pull the curtain and the coach essentially goes away. The nicest motorhomes are all Class "A" rigs, with all of the granite counters, leather interiors etc...
    A Class "B" is a van conversion rig, but is really agile, easy as pie to drive and gets the best mileage. Some have pretty much the same motors as you will find in Class "C" mohos, but with a lot less weight so they can be the real hotrods of the moho world too. Easily tow my boat in many cases.
    A Class "C" is based on a van or truck chassis and has the most sleeping and utility of the three. If you are a vacationer with a family, plan on bringing friends or more folks... the is the way to go. They have lots of configurations, but most will allow for sleeping over the cab, conversion table, sofa-bed and a big bed in the rear.
    A "Super-C" is similar to a "C", but start with a medium duty truck chassis like a Chevy 5500 or a Ford F650-750 for a base. The big show haulers with a Freightliner/Peterbilt/Volvo tractor are also considered Super C's. You get a lot more truck with a Super C, and with it the tow capacity, carrying capacity and braking performance of the bigger rig. In many cases your mileage will improve too. They are available with the garage setups in the rear like mine as well in this category. These can really handle the slides and extra weight the best IMO. You can get these custom built as well.

WaterJunky
    All of the decisions you are asking depend on your use. If it will get used twice a year, rent. If it will get used once a month, buy. Are you someone who "upgrades" vehicles every other year or are you someone who drives a vehicle for years? RVs are very expensive to upgrade every couple of years. As a side note, I have seen many a problem on rented RVs. If you are towing heavy, pulling serious hills regularly, or traveling long distances, you will want to take the hit up front and buy a diesel. Buying a new RV is just as bad or worse than buying a boat for deprecation over the first few years. Also like buying a boat there are advantages to buying new like warantys, and knowing its history. All of these are critical components when buying a high dollar item like this.

OCMerrill
    Now that I have been in a bunch of them and driven several... I would definitely get another "C". The way it was described to me is that a Class "A" is for two people to live in. If you do a lot of touring and traveling with just you and your wife, a Class A is the deal. Especially if you are going to full time it for a while. They are set up on a bus chassis, and you are really part of the whole rig when you are driving it. Which is good and bad. ANYTHING going on in the rig affects the driver. In ours, you just pull the curtain and the coach essentially goes away. The nicest motorhomes are all Class "A" rigs, with all of the granite counters, leather interiors etc...
    A Class "B" is a van conversion rig, but is really agile, easy as pie to drive and gets the best mileage. Some have pretty much the same motors as you will find in Class "C" mohos, but with a lot less weight so they can be the real hotrods of the moho world too. Easily tow my boat in many cases.
    A Class "C" is based on a van or truck chassis and has the most sleeping and utility of the three. If you are a vacationer with a family, plan on bringing friends or more folks... the is the way to go. They have lots of configurations, but most will allow for sleeping over the cab, conversion table, sofa-bed and a big bed in the rear.
    A "Super-C" is similar to a "C", but start with a medium duty truck chassis like a Chevy 5500 or a Ford F650-750 for a base. The big show haulers with a Freightliner/Peterbilt/Volvo tractor are also considered Super C's. You get a lot more truck with a Super C, and with it the tow capacity, carrying capacity and braking performance of the bigger rig. In many cases your mileage will improve too. They are available with the garage setups in the rear like mine as well in this category. These can really handle the slides and extra weight the best IMO. You can get these custom built as well.
    The main reason I bought a C was (and in 98 the was no Kodiak based chassis) the extra sleeping capacity and the fact that you should be able to have the chassis (van based) fixed at, in our case, any Ford dealer.
    I remember my Dads class A would break down and nobody could find the fuel pressure relay or whatever because shit was nailed to small pieces of plywood all over the thing. The Van deal I felt was more standardizied. I don't think my comments hold true any longer. Both Workhorse and the Ford F-53's are very nice well thoughout chassis. I am talking Gas here.
    Funny thing is 10 years later and the very first year of the Ford V-10 and I have never had a Ford related issue. Not a one and I expected many.
    We were close to buying an Endura about two years ago and decided not to. I think when we are done with ours we will rent for a few years.
    Kids in school we just don't go as much as before them and when they were little.
    We can tow our Jeep with kids quads and just barely squeak under the 20,000GCWR of my Superduty chassis. Mostly because we do not have a slide.

bohica
    My class A will sleep 6, more comfortable for 4, but really only made for 2. If friends want to come out with you, tell them to bring a tent.
    I've had RV's of every kind, from a Lance camper to class A diesel pusher. A low end diesel pusher will not have much better of a ride than a high end gas coach. I have Winnebago's top of the line pusher, the Vectra. Great coach, it's a one finger on the steering wheel, no white knuckle ride from being pushed around by the wind or big rigs.
    One misconception a lot of people have about diesel pushers is they get better gas mileage. Because of the weight, the fuel mileage is terrible, I only get 5.5 mpg when fully loaded and towing.

Froggystyle
    One misconception a lot of people have about diesel pushers is they get better gas mileage. Because of the weight, the fuel mileage is terrible, I only get 5.5 mpg when fully loaded and towing.
    It's better than it would be with a gas engine big enough to do the job...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast