Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gas saving tips at the pump.

Jyruiz
    Don't know if it is true or if will make a difference, but I thought I should share since we all use a lot of fuel here.
    TIPS ON PUMPING GAS--GOOD INFO!
    I don't know what you guys are paying for gasoline....Here in California we are also paying higher, up to $3.50 per gallon. But my line of work is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every gallon .
    Here at the Kinder Morgan Pipeline where I work in San Jose , CA we deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period thru the pipeline. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and gasoline, regular and premium grades.
    1. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 gallons. Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have
    their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your gallon is not exactly a gallon .
    In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this
    business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.
    2. When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of
    the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less
    worth for your money.
    3. One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY . The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine . Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof .
    This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation . Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every gallon is actually the exact amount.
    Another reminder. If there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up-- most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

HM
    Those are all good practices in general. Will it make a difference in an individual's pocket book? Perhaps over 10 years.
    The best tip is not filling up when gas is being delivered to the station. Especially older stations. I clogged a fuel filter in one fill up. If I see a gas truck at a station, I move on to the next station.

beernut
    very good tips here thanks for the info, a co-worker of mine said that all the gas stations get gas from the same source,76,shell, and el-cheapo stations, anyone know for sure?,he said there was no differance in quality or additives and its all the same fuel,and he watched trucks from differant co's. pull in right after each other and all got the same stuff...?

jenstar23
    very good tips here thanks for the info, a co-worker of mine said that all the gas stations get gas from the same source,76,shell, and el-cheapo stations, anyone know for sure?,he said there was no differance in quality or additives and its all the same fuel,and he watched trucks from differant co's. pull in right after each other and all got the same stuff...?
    My dad used to work for ARCO on the corporate side and he said the same thing. All the refineries pretty much have the same refining process going on. It makes me feel better when I fill up with the cheap Costco fuel--hope my dad was right
    Thanks for the tips! I guess I am going to have to get my a** out of bed earlier so I can fill up before work instead of after like I usually do...:sleeping:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    The part about filling in the early morning works. I do this all the time now, but it has to be early. 8-9 is too late. I usually fill up after I leave the gym at 6. I was gettin 280-300 miles a tank and by doing this, I get 360-380 miles a tank. I figured thats about 10 bucks a week/40 bucks a month. That's pretty significant to me. I usually go to the same station, so gas brand is not a factor. (I get asked that every time I tell someone this strategy)

centerhill condor
    we set our tires to 40 psig. installed K&N..both added 'bout 5-7 mpg.
    CC

BlueNun
    I 2nd the K&N and a little more tire pressure. My 99 Yukon bone stock avg. 15mpg in town. I installed the K&N, Flowmaster, and a more "streetable" tire and jumpedto 19mgp as long as my driving style was in check. I also am a big advocate of the Lucas Oil Injector Cleaner. It will also help with cheap gas.
    And CHANGE YOUR FUEL FILTER

BigDoug
    Running synthetic oil has many advantages too......cooler running temps, longer engine life, go longer between oil changes, much easier on moving parts.
    If you have alot of mileage you don't want to use this as it will find the weakest area to cause a leak and it will too.............plus it will loosen up the motor even more and can cause failure when you really needed to only use regular style oil.
    Synthetic is very good though and gave me 1-2 mpg better !!

Redwing247
    #1 and #2 are correct.

pvhca
    Costco fuel is actually from Chevron or has the same aditives as chevron, there are ony 2 or 3 major refineries is so cal, the additives is what makes the differences

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast