Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drive Questions.. B-Max vs. Merc XR

BadKachina
    Johnson, what are you running for gear oil in your drives? I sell the Amsoil stuff and recommend it for all hp stuff that comes through the shop.

BIGJOEDUCKSLAYER
    MARDONZI the arnesons are your best choice, you wont break one of them.
    BIG JOE SSMF

TBONE1904
    The B Max is a good drive and trust me I should now as I am putting 1,100 HP to each drive. However in my opinion the Imco lower is way better. I have tried both the B Max and Imco and the B Max had some real issues both internally and hydrodynamically. When I switched from the B Max Crescent lowers to Imco's it made all the difference in the world, prop blowout during planning and high speed stopped and the boat turned WAY better with the Imco. I also stopped losing carrier bearings as the Imco carrier unit is superior.....
    The other down side to B Max is getting replacement parts from Dean is an absolute nightmare!
    I will say again, on your boat I would go with Teague or Max upper with Imco lowers....
    Don is the man.....He has a quicker street car than my race door car, and his boat power train combination is twice if not more than my dragster combination. He knows horsepower, drives, and fast boats period! I would listen to him.

don johnson
    Johnson, what are you running for gear oil in your drives? I sell the Amsoil stuff and recommend it for all hp stuff that comes through the shop.
    Red Line anti shock synthetic.

Boatlesss
    So your saying a Konrad will loose 20 mph over a stock B1?
    Max will have zero warranty. Imco will have zero warranty. Konrad has a warranty, not sure if it's one year or two. The Ace conversion also includes extension boxes with trannies in them and they should be pretty much indestructible for a 35 Fountain with 600hp per side. I would beg to differ that the Konrad's on boxes would be any slower than the B-Max's. If B-max was still selling an upper with a Merc Xr lower than he would probably be just as well off putting an XR, Teague or Max-Machine drive on it IMO.
    This is all pretty much guess work at this point, since there are no real studies about longevity or speed loss of any of these drives. The general consensus is however that the Imco 4x4 or 1000, the B-Max, #6, and the Konrad, are all stronger but power robbing to some degree. As for a drive that isn't internally shifted, I would say that the Konrad has the best price. For internally shifted drives, the B-Max looks to be the best option.
    Oh, and 28k includes everything for the Konrad, gimbals, steering, drives, extension boxes and all parts needed.
    Notice I said 10 mph slower than a Bravo.
    Konrads, according to Velocity and others are about 10 mph slower than a Bravo. No one has claimed they went faster with the Konrad.
    If 28K a side seems like a good deal, then there are alternatives that are faster and less expensive that should be considered. IMCO debuted their new SCX yesterday, Arneson has a drive, MAX Machine Works, and lets not forget that Ilmore is coming out with a drive unit. BMax seems to work also. All less $ than the Konrad. At that price point a used set of #6 Merc's is an option.
    As far as warranty. Konrad has not been standing behind their warranties on OSO. I think IMCO said they will have a warranty on their new SCX and Arnesin has a warranty of one year. BMax has a warranty also.
    The boat would have to be completely re-rigged for a Konrad. Engines move 3 inches forward and such.
    More $ and more work = slower speeds. Not a good idea.

Mardonzi
    Konrads, according to Velocity and others are about 10 mph slower than a Bravo. No one has claimed they went faster with the Konrad.
    If 28K a side seems like a good deal, then there are alternatives that are faster and less expensive that should be considered. IMCO debuted their new SCX yesterday, Arneson has a drive, MAX Machine Works, and lets not forget that Ilmore is coming out with a drive unit. BMax seems to work also. All less $ than the Konrad. At that price point a used set of #6 Merc's is an option.
    As far as warranty. Konrad has not been standing behind their warranties on OSO. I think IMCO said they will have a warranty on their new SCX and Arnesin has a warranty of one year. BMax has a warranty also.
    The boat would have to be completely re-rigged for a Konrad. Engines move 3 inches forward and such.
    We pretty much eliminated Konrad from the picture when we discovered the cost vs. value ratio was somewhat skewed.

BadKachina
    Konrad's, according to Velocity and others are about 10 mph slower than a Bravo. No one has claimed they went faster with the Konrad.
    28k is a good value when you factor gimbals, extension boxes, steering components, transmissions, and drives. With the Ace package you don't move the motors. With the 540's you do. Price out a new Imco, with extension boxes, and steering and see what you come up with. The Imco 1000 retails in the upper 30's. A number six is double that and that you do have to move the motors forward for it. Even a used number six, needs gimbals, and steering plus trannies and moving the motors forward. So for a non shifting drive (shifting in the tranny)with or without a warranty what drive is priced better? I'm a member of OSO, so link me the threads about warranty issues. I'd like to read them. The more info you can learn form others the better. You seem knowledgeable and I appreciate the ideas, and the info.
    As far as warranty goes, Konrad didn't warranty the pre HT stuff except the upper. Merc and any other lower manufacturer (Imco, Max-Machine, Teague)won't warranty the lower. So now that B-Max is offering one year for complete drive with the Crescent lower, it's a good option. I have no doubt that Max-Machine makes some good drives, but no warranty is no warranty. Imco has never stood behind any of their products. Do a search on any performance boating site and see how well their customer service has done. Do they make good parts? Yes, their steering components, fuel switches, fuel tanks, etc. are all top of the line but try and send one back to get fixed and see what the outcome is.
    Arnesons our as stout as they come, do they work well on all hulls? Not enough boats come rigged with them to know. They are supposed to be a handful to dock use and in close quarters. They also have a huge unprotected prop hanging off the back for your swimmers. I think they are best left on race boats, preferably cats rigged from the factory specifically for those drives. Whats the price on a conversion anyhow? I imagine you have to mount a transmission so you would have to re-rig the boat and move the motors forward, and probably set the motors at a specific height for the correct x-dim, that would include a new hatch. Now your talking a re-rigging the motors, hatches, and more than likely re-doing the transom. Not even close to the price of bolting on the Ace package no matter what the price of the Arneson is.
    Ilmor? Imco SCX? Where are they? How much hp do they handle? Are they a direct bolt on? How much do they cost? Warranty?

Chico&Zeus
    Arnesons our as stout as they come, do they work well on all hulls? Not enough boats come rigged with them to know. They are supposed to be a handful to dock use and in close quarters. They also have a huge unprotected prop hanging off the back for your swimmers. I think they are best left on race boats, preferably cats rigged from the factory specifically for those drives. Whats the price on a conversion anyhow? I imagine you have to mount a transmission so you would have to re-rig the boat and move the motors forward, and probably set the motors at a specific height for the correct x-dim, that would include a new hatch. Now your talking a re-rigging the motors, hatches, and more than likely re-doing the transom. Not even close to the price of bolting on the Ace package no matter what the price of the Arneson is.
    So BALLER, you got one comin for the DCB then???

BadKachina
    So BALLER, you got one comin for the DCB then???
    I'm putting a 4cyl and a Alpha 1 in it so I can afford to drive it.

Mardonzi
    so here's a wrench in the works.. How is running a 2" shortie going to affect my x dimension?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast