Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Big Block jet boat project planned

cyclone
    the flat deck 18 sounds like the boat i was looking at. It had more room than my boat but with the same deck. Thanks for the info Oldrigger! I might buy this boat, but I'm not sure yet. It needs alot of work and I'm still looking for a bubble deck project boat. Thanks again!

Yvettefan25
    Thank you guys so much for your help in this project planner. After the research here and in other forums as well, I have decided to go with a '19 gulling. I am going to try to find a used boat that is in need of an engine and pump to cut the cost enough to off set the purchace of a dual drive pump set up. Both pumps will run A impellers. The Cadillac is a torque motor-not a horse power motor, and the dual jet drive is a torque application. Herald Bruce of Dual Drive inc. (714-993-2664)was very helpful and had much test data to draw from. Acording to him, a 500 pound '19 gullwing running dual jets and set up with the correct impellers will see mid 80mph top speeds without getting the engine above 4500 rpms (my horsepower peak) and the 3200 rpm torque peak of 611 footpounds turning two pumps will deliver unbeleivable acceleration. That style of boat should be stable up to 100+ mph should I decide to upgrade the motor at a later date. I chose the gullwing over the tunnel hull because the Cad can push the gullwing to the speeds I want and I can keep more manuverability.
    The Cadillac engine I will be using is a copy of the stroker engine build up in Street Rod magazine, It is at 9.5:1 compression and uses pump gas. If memory serves correctly, it is 535 cubic inches.
    Trivia: during the dyno test on that motor-the dyno pumps could not put enough pressure on the engine to measure its true torque until it was almost at 2000 rpms. They had to use a computer to calculate the off idle torque. Estimated torque at 1500 rpms-going by memory here-was 350 foot pounds. I can't find that article, if anyone has it, please publish the correct readings if that was wrong. A comment by the owners of the dyno machine (published in the article) was that they requested dyno testing time to be limited because they were afraid the engine would break the dyno....... Don't take my word for it-look up the article and argue with the author. Point being, that engine begs for a dual drive set up, and I feel that in this combination in a light weight boat is going to put out performance numbers that are so impressive no one will beleive the claims-which means I'll get a lot of races, and hopefuly an article done on the boat in a maganine.
    I welcome any comments or suggestions. If anyone contacts Dual Drives Inc., please tell Harold that "Cody"-the guy who wants to build the "Cadillac gullwing" sent you. Maybe I will get a discount for the free advertising- ha ha. If I get my money together by January, I hope to have this HOT BOAT in the waters of Arkansas next summer.

Cheyenne19
    I didn't know that you were from the rock. We share some common territory. Let me know when you get it running I want to see it. As I am only an hour or so from you.
    c19

froggystyle
    Did I mention that I have a set of Olds motor mounts and bell housing for sale?
    Cadillac has a BOP rear pattern.
    I don't know if the center section of the Gullwing is going to be large enough for a dual drive intake without some serious mods... but good luck!

Yvettefan25
    Cheyenn19, I will be glad to give you a call when I finally get the project wet. Be sure and help me find some blown BBC people to race!
    Froggystyle, Thanks for the input, Herald of Dual Jet drives recomemnds that boat, so it should work-he also has his people widening a boat six inches that was too narrow for the application-he seems like he has a good thing going.
    To all of you who checked Yvette's yahoo group, she was out of town when I had left the request for her to say "hi" to the jet boat fans, but the post is now in the larger of her three fan groups.
    Once again, Cadillac engin fans, if you have not visited the MTS message board, please take the time to do so. There are about 100 or more Cadillac guys who visit regularly and give out FREE tech information on the Caddy. I have learned a lot there-too much to list. A lot of the guys are joining the yahoo group called Cadillac_Performance_Association also free, and you can post pics of your Caddy powered ride. groups.yahoo.com/group/Cadillac_Performance_Association
    fan25

Cheyenne19
    I have a NA BBC, but I am not challenging you to a race. I live in Memphis and have a farm north of Brinlkey AR. It is not far from Forrest City, if you are familiar with this area. Where do you take your boat? When do you think it will be ready, cause I really want to see it. Also tell me more about this dual drive. How does it work? Is it two impellars with one snoot?
    c19

Unchained

Yvettefan25
    Unchained, you need to change your screen name to "grumpy"
    Cheyenne19, I live in central AR close to Little Rock. It was a friend's Cobra bass boat that I was riding in when I got the need for speed fever. I do not have the '19 gullwing project boat yet. The dual jet drive set up consists of two standard jet pumps mounted side-by-side with a drive unit conecting them to one engine that has one input shaft and two output shafts. The drive unit mounts in such a way that in most cases the engine can be moved backwards 1" to the rear of the boat. The jet pumps are thus mounted more to the rear. If I remember correctly, the drive unit is 4" or 5" in length, which woild space the pums 5" or 6" farther out of the back of the boat. The rear view of the craft would look similar to the Taylor SS pictured earlier in this forum except that there would be only one engine.

Yvettefan25
    Froggystyle, I forgot to reply to your post. I might be interested in what you have for sale, but it would be after I bought the gullwing, just in case it alreay has the mounts I need. Thank you for mentioning it to me, however.

froggystyle
    Probably not going to find a ton of gullwings with 455's... Just a thought. These are not going anywhere.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast