Everyone that has been around our pit knows that race morning I am not around the car until the Nth hour. I hang out in the trailer stay warm, or cool, and let our crew get the car ready. They are the best crew out there, bar none. I have the utmost confidence that LJ will check everything and give me a car that is ready to go. While we were at Main, Bob and Machelle were at remote pit 3, on the other side of the mountains from us, out of radio contact and setting up everything we needed.
Danny and I had long underwear under our driver suits as we walked out the door of the trailer. We looked around and saw the sun shining and did a quick U-turn to shed the extra layer, in fear of being too hot in the car. We emerged again to see the car ready to go, blaring the new red, white and black Banks Power colors. That was the last of the red and white we would see all day, as it rained the entire 24 hours prior to race morning. We jumped in the new PRP seats and got comfortable as we drove through the puddles on the way to the start. At the start line Dan noticed that the GPS was not working. We drove the old fashioned way from there on out.
The start of the race was wet, very wet. We caught the first Jeepspeed within about 2 miles and honked and passed him. We then caught the entire class 3100 field and made our way through them in the mud without a horn. LaFortune caught us while we were passing cars as we got to the lakebed. That's where 4wd and the Interco TrXus mud terrains proved worthwhile. Jason was swapping side to side and we were tracking pretty straight. The first puddle I wiped my visor and smeared it bad, after that I just let the muddy water run off the side until we got out of the mud. Brian Hartman at pit 2 told us that Jason was about 2 minutes back.
In the rocks we were caught behind a 1450 truck forever. Just as we passed him, Jason and Eric Helgeson caught us, fully getting it. DJR's plan was to keep the car together and not break it or get flats in the rocks, make time where we can. It is the hardest thing to do to let cars go by when you have the speed and ability to catch them. The team had a plan and I am a team player. I let them go.
Dan and I kept plugging away, getting faster and faster as we went, passing more 1450's, then most of the 8100's. The back side of the course is first rally style flat hills with tight turns. We flat out made some time through there running the car on the edge. The flat out sections were fun and crazy yet exilerating. The Dream wheel speed calculator says 90MPH, but it could be off a little. All I know is we were flying!
The last section of rough Dan was reeling me in. I wanted to get there and Dan kept telling me that we need to give the car to Jeff and Scott like it was right now. It was smooth and perfect. The tires were good, sway bar still intact, no rattling or strange noises. Above 80mph there was a smell of fresh gear oil, but that turned out to be just a front pinion seal.
I saw Ray Griffith leaving the main pit area as we were pulling in. I knew that he was racing for the championship but didn't know where he was on course. After the pit stop and driver change, We were in 4th position and 6th place. I thought that I let us down, was too conservative. I knew that if it could be done, Jeff could do it. The car was perfect and Jeff is fast in a good car!
It was his turn to get it and he did! I want to thank our sponsors, my family and friends that help us in more ways than anyone can see. I cannot express the thanks that you all deserve for helping us realize our dreams.