Thread: GRILL HOUSING FINS

hickz3
    How important are the fins on the grille housing?
    Took a look at mine and one of the fins is all chewed up.
    Is this going to really affect performance/control?
    If so anybody got an extra? Jacuzzi YJ

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    are you talking about the two fins that protrude down into the water from the suction housing or the slats on the actual grate that bolts into the suction housing. If it is the fins attached to the suction housing that would involve alot of work to remove the housing and you would need a new one. If it is the grate. Unbolt it and buy a new one. Mike at mikes pump and speed in houston sells a loader grate that will help your performance for about 80 dollars. If they are the fins attached to the suction housing I would try to file them down best I could and go. I really don't think they would hinder the performance too much. I think they are more designed for stability in turns. I would highly suggest you get a loader grate one way or another. They help and Mike is about the cheapest around. here is a link to his website www.mikespumpandspeed.com Some pictures could probably help if you have any.
    I'm spinning a jacuzzi yj also and have my factory grate still if you want to stay factory.
    Kris

hickz3
    It's the suction housing fins. Sorry for the confusion. If I do grind it down so it's smooth I guess I should make the two match. The housing may be coming out anyway, I'm painting the boat too. This is a big project that keeps getting bigger. Welcome to Boating I guess!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
    I would try to remove as little material as possible. I'm sure those fins are there for a reason. And I would definitely make them match. While you're down there why not put a race grate on it. Trust me best investment you'll ever make. If you do save the stainless screws that are in it now and use them but remember to use never-seize thread lubricant. stainless and aluminum don't get along too well.

Wet Dream
    If you file the 2 skags (fins) down and make the bottom of the boat smooth, wait until you try to make a hard turn. You'll probably be sliding backwards wondering what the hell just happened.