Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 21 Daytona help-pics

Could someone please tell/show me how a stock set of tanks mount via the holes in the bottom of the boat, are the fastners like some kind of carrriage bolt? Are they flush with the bottom? The tanks I have aren't stock I'm just tryin to figure out if and how I'm going to use them. Thanks Kreg BTW I'll be askin for some interior pics also.

1968Droptop
    I don't have any pix Kreg, but mine mount to a couple of bulkheads that are glassed into the sponsons. My tanks are square not round. I can't rememeber what year your boat is ? But the older ones have round tanks, and I think they have a strap thats goes around them, securing to some wood glassed into the floor.

tx-19
    usually they have a stringer washer that has a counter sunk hole in it so the bolt is flush.thats the way mine are.

kreg, show us some pics of what you have,
    I have seen round tanks installed with a bracket
    that mounts with a countersunk
    screw from the bottom, just seal it like a jet intake
    screw, it would be a good idea to install a backup
    plate on the inside as well.

LUVNLIFE
    I don't have any pix Kreg, but mine mount to a couple of bulkheads that are glassed into the sponsons. My tanks are square not round. I can't rememeber what year your boat is ? But the older ones have round tanks, and I think they have a strap thats goes around them, securing to some wood glassed into the floor.
    This is how mine were mounted. I cut plywood and mounted the round bracket/holder to them, the plywood was full length of the tank. Then glass that plywood to the bottom of the boat. This means there are no through bolts to leak. Worked well.

I'll put a pic up of what I have from work tomorow. My first thought was to glass the eight holes in and glass some plywood down also to mount to. The holes are right in my sponsons and It doesn't look like there is enougph glass there to flush mount anything, if that makes any sense. Also I'd be suprised If the tanks I have are bigger than 12 gal.

wet77
    in the 21 daytona I had there were stainless washers and bolts, not the best idea as I found latter they leaked, so I glassed in plates of aluminum to the floor and tapped holes for the brackets to bolt to, then when Irwin capps did the bottom that winter he filled in the holes from the bottom

there is an article in the HB MAG about putting a round plug in a square hole(something like that)July 2006 issue.
    I can scan it and send it to you.

LUVNLIFE
    I'll put a pic up of what I have from work tomorow. My first thought was to glass the eight holes in and glass some plywood down also to mount to. The holes are right in my sponsons and It doesn't look like there is enougph glass there to flush mount anything, if that makes any sense. Also I'd be suprised If the tanks I have are bigger than 12 gal.
    There was not in mine. They would start to pull through and leak. What you are thinking of doing is what I did. I also glassed the mounts in.

Thanks for the help all. I'd kinda like to weld a bracket(on the top) so I can also mount the top of the tanks up by the filler neck for lack of a better way to describe it. I know welding a gas tank can be an explosion hazard, but couldn't i just fill the tank with water? I would still like to see bottom pics of a stock set up. I would like the extra security of being able to "bolt" the plywood thru those holes as well as glass.:idea:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast