Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Whirlaway

707-CREW
    I just bought a lenco clutch for my flat project. This might be a stupid question.........Since there is a clutch do you still need to run a whirlaway??

Moneypitt
    I just bought a lenco clutch for my flat project. This might be a stupid question.........Since there is a clutch do you still need to run a whirlaway??
    YES..............
    I have no idea........But the question remains, "will it disconect" in a nano second???????????......Are using a tranny? ..........Be safe...........MP

beaverfab
    With a clutch you can lock the dogs in gear and they will last a long time , will not be shifting them with engine running. j.j.

Lookin for Liquid
    Yes .........you should still run a whirlaway to answer your question.

2manymustangs
    I asked the same question (prolly the 50th person to do so) and got this plausable explanation "what if something breaks in your Casalle and the gearbox locks up". I was looking at putting in a early style Owens two speed (defaults to high gear) with a "sprague" thinking I could avoid the cost of the whirlaway.
    I guess the idea is to have the "safety valve" at a point in the driveline where there is nothing that could possilbly lock up the prop shaft.
    I guess the next question is "why are the whirlaway kits so expensive for what they are". Is there anyone else that makes something like this?
    In the grand scheme of things it's a small price to pay for safety but I still wonder why the kit is nearly a grand for what it is. :idea:

Lookin for Liquid
    Absolutely correct as you want to take any other components that could break out of the equation or keep the free wheeling device as close to the propellor as possible. The kit is pricey but well worth the money compared to a boat about to cork screw thru the air....in my opinion!

beaverfab
    2many you must not be using my prop shaft release there 650.00 not a grand. Would like for you to give one of mine a try next time you need one. Thanks j.j.

Boat211
    2many you must not be using my prop shaft release there 650.00 not a grand. Would like for you to give one of mine a try next time you need one. Thanks j.j.
    Can you give us some more details on your prop shaft release deals?

2manymustangs
    I haven't done the whirlaway yet, my project is still coming together. I'm getting close though. Can you provide me with info, pics?

beaverfab
    211 what would you like to know? I have been making them for 9 years. I use the best material I can. I have them in lake boats to ProMod boats. If you would like more info let me know or ask here who is using my parts. Thanks j.j.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast