Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Mythbusters Plane on Treadmill

Kachina26
    If you drop a penny down your intake and it ends up in the oil pan you've already got more problems that a penny can cause!
    and pennies aren't copper
    I've got to agree with the first part of your post.

Krumbsnatcher
    Hey will someone create a poll on this matter, i know it will not fly, just wondering how many others agree.

HM
    Hey will someone create a poll on this matter, i know it will not fly, just wondering how many others agree.
    The key part is what is the speed referenced to? Since a plane needs air speed to take off, I would argue that air speed is the reference. Then, the treadmill would go backwards at 1 MPH for every 1 mph of airspeed forward...thus the wheels would see 2x's the normal speed and the plane would take off.
    If the actual treadmill is considered the reference point, then the plane will not take off as it will not achieve any air speed. While the wheels do not propel the plane, the treadmill (in theory reacts with same speed at the exact time) and wheels will create enough friction to no allow the plane to move forward. At some point...everything melts down..but it is not a real world problem anyway as there is no way to design a treadmill to do this, unless you control it with a returned MSD box from REX.

UltraStealth
    Thanks. I will be watching the plane take off.
    I ran this by my buddy who is in the airforce. Here was his response after I asked him.
    If you're talking about a normal fully operational airplane then the answer is...yes.
    An airplane's engines (jet or prop) pull an aircraft through the air regardless of its contact with the ground.
    Therefore, an aircraft on a conveyor belt would be able to achieve forward momentum and eventually the required lift to takeoff despite what a "conveyor belt runway" did on the ground.

Instigators
    How many pennies? A copper penny is fairly soft, so I could see it breaking up and ending up in the oil pan without doing a whole lot of damage.
    I agree, If a hole in a piston or broken rings and a scored cylinder bore isn't considered much damage.
    Most likely you will find a couple of bent valves, mangled valve seats and a cylinder head combustion chamber and piston that looks like it was in a Texas Chainsaw masacre movie scene.:sqeyes:
    The only thing goin down my intake is Clean Boosted Air and Alot of Fuel.
    I bet you also think the plane won't fly huh.

Instigators
    Where's Jordy????
    He's hidin on the down low after he has had time to reconsider his pointless view.
    Really, he's very involved in a new start up MLM venture. Product research and Human Resource issues. Great opportunity if you intrested. Send me a PM and I'll try to get you in on tier two as tier one ground floor has already been filled.

CARLSON-JET
    Plane on a treadmill....

I ran this by my buddy who is in the airforce. Here was his response after I asked him.
    If you're talking about a normal fully operational airplane then the answer is...yes.
    An airplane's engines (jet or prop) pull an aircraft through the air regardless of its contact with the ground.
    Dude .... Seriously , making sense and using logic only work in real life . Not on ***boat . Get with the fukin program .

AZJD
    It's on 2nite! 9pm Cali time. Which means I have to wait until 10pm

AZJD
    Therefore, an aircraft on a conveyor belt would be able to achieve forward momentum and eventually the required lift to takeoff despite what a "conveyor belt runway" did on the ground.
    Still gonna have to see proof, then all the non believers will still make excuses. :idea:
    Fly little plane, fly!

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast