Thread: BBC short blocks

AZKC
    As you may or may not have read, my boat developed a knock. Discovered it while fighting some rust/crap in the carb needles and seats. I'm pretty sure the lower end is my knock, I think my machinist screwed me on re-sizing the rods. This is the price ya pay sometimes for not double cking stuff, as Infomanic states quite often. "Trust No One"
    So, any hook ups on a middle of the road 454/502 short blocks or do I buy a rotating assembly and try this again? I might be interested in a complete runner but it would have to be a great deal. I'm going to start looking today and tommorow, need to get this done. OP6-V is getting close and I'm going have to start working soon or later.
    KC

HBjet
    Check your PM

AZKC
    Your a popular guy, ya need to empty yours. Thanks for the reply, Ck out this thread on Dougs
    may be not
    Thanks again
    KC

Squeezing Spectra
    Hey AZ shoot me an e-mail if your still looking i might have something. Thanks Bruce

Infomaniac
    Is the flywheel loose?

HBjet
    AZKC:
    Your a popular guy, ya need to empty yours. Thanks for the reply, Ck out this thread on Dougs
    may be not
    Thanks again
    KC Thanks! All cleaned out now! Send me your reply!
    HBjet

AZKC
    Not to hank the rug out from you guys with parts, but Blown472 and 87 Cole nailed it, it seems. Its the coupler to the pump. I greased it before I put the boat back together and after some run time I guess it started making noise and causing a knock that was transfering thru the block, the boat had this noise before the rebuild and I allways thought it was the rod bearing problem that I rebuilt the motor for in the first place.
    There was hardly any metal in the filter for as large of a knock as I was hearing.

Thanks for the offers though, looks like OP6-V is still on
    KC

jim@pj
    Kevin... I was wondering about that(the possibility of drive joint noise)I was going to give you a call but I,ve been too busy and forgot to follow through. . Your drive spline has been worn in an a little and a "rattle or knock" is not abnormal. It should go away when you come off idle as the Impeller loads the spline and takes out the excess clearance. Alot of jet boats have this noise at idle and it is not a problem. At least you didn,t pull the motor before you relized the problem. Go boating !!!Jim