Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Krazy Kolors, Allens Fastners..

superdave013

jet4fun
    Sheeeeit...you kids know nothin about BMX. Schwinn discontinued their guarantee on their frames because of me and another guy named Gordy. We were "BMX"ing before there was sucha thing. I'm pretty sure that the first official organized BMX bike race (at least in SoCal) was held at our high school in Van Nuys, I think in 1975. They set up a track on the running track around the football field. I remember it was plywood and astro-turf. I used to takae a Schwinn stingray, throw away the wheels and lace my own up w/ 36 spoke Araya rims using 10-speed front hubs and either a kick-back two speed rear hub or a push-pull three speed. The three speed had a free wheeler hub, so had to use a clincher brake on the rear wheel (another part off a 10-speeed). No one ever had an MX bile that shifted before that and you shoulda seen the looks I got! Also used to drill out the hubs and rims and lace up the rims with motorcycle spokes in a 4X pattern, using Yamaha 125 front spokes. Everything was drilled for light weight. Some company started making what we caled "Junior" handle bars which were like the stingray bars, only shorter, and that was real popular. I was the first guy (I know of) to do all this shit and always had the gang at my house on weekends modifying bikes. I welded a crossbar on my handle bars once and remember thinking how cool that was untill I tried to get the bars off. Used the Stingray bananna seat and cut the rear hoop off and tucked the bars under the seat, and ran rat trap pedals, too. Those were home made, pretty damn trick bikes for the day. The San Fernando Valley was our testing ground, race track, BMX park, etc. We rode in the LA river a lot down by Balboa Park, on Ventura Blvd, Hayvenhurst, Balboa, and anywhere there was a downhill where we could set up a jump.
    Man, those were the days!
    BTW...not taking anything away from these guys today...the stuff they do is beyond anything imaginable back then. We were cool when we got "crossed up" off a jump, and did "peace sign" (one handed) sit-down wheelies for more than a few hundred feet. And all that protective gear they wear...we were the test dummies for that shit, and I still have the scars to prove it. :cry:
    Sorry for the ramble, this just hit an old, very sweet memory nerve.
    which high school?

WATERFOUL
    thats a cute little park you guys got there . Heres a little video of Uplands current park. There is 10 year old kids around Upland pulling shit only the Pro's from the 80's thought about. Dont knock the Badlands
    I'm not sure which "one" of the parks you're talking about but I was just kindly pointing out that while Upland has its heritage that vaults it to legendary status, other parks may deserve as much respect based on design and function. Your tunnel vision love afair with "the badlands" is heart warming but please consider other geographic locations as well. Oh, that 10 year old is sick, thanks for the video too.

sangervdrive
    Thanks to Rad and Gleaming the Cube, I was prepared to run away to California many times throughout my childhood!

whiteworks
    I'm not sure which "one" of the parks you're talking about but I was just kindly pointing out that while Upland has its heritage that vaults it to legendary status, other parks may deserve as much respect based on design and function. Your tunnel vision love afair with "the badlands" is heart warming but please consider other geographic locations as well. Oh, that 10 year old is sick, thanks for the video too.
    I was referring to the park in the video on the page you linked to. Just talking a little smack as far as the "tunnel vision love affair with the Badlands" its well earned. how's this for tunnel vision? no trick photography here just one sick bastard getting off in some of the local terrain.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...loop_large.jpg

WATERFOUL
    Is that you?:jawdrop: I'm just havin' some fun on hear myself I actually grew up in So-Cal riding Skatopia in Buena Park, not near as sick as Upland but we tried. How did this end up in V-Drives anyway . . . Is that photo in Baldy?

I was referring to the park in the video on the page you linked to. Just talking a little smack as far as the "tunnel vision love affair with the Badlands" its well earned. how's this for tunnel vision? no trick photography here just one sick bastard getting off in some of the local terrain.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...loop_large.jpg
    A few buddies and myself trek'd up to "Baldy pipe" last summer, only to find the city tried to pour concrete on the tranny and lag 2X4's at the mouth, when we arrived up there there were holes in the tranny and very horrible terrain throughout the pipe! still sk8ted it but it was even more difficult that a few years prior!
    i still think old pipe was better, only because the park had more to offer as to what i still enjoy skating,...true the parks today are manicured much better than yesterday, but that is what was grit about skating, just like the backyard pools around town, pool builders could give a shit about the local skater kids skating their swimming holes, the talent and pool building skills have come a very,very long way since the 70-80's at least in my experience!
    Funny thing is, just sunday evening, a guy that i've known for quite a while heard that i was interested in having a pool built for my family, but the clincher was that i wanted a dual purpos pool,...swin the summer and skate the winter, the pool is in the planning stages, but i hope it will be reality by the spring!
    wish me luck, and NO! you cannot have my address! lol
    the one thing that the pool will have is eyelets where i can chain it off when not around! Ive been hoping my wife would come around in my idea for the landscaping of the backyard, things have been looking up for the last couple of weeks , and she is full aware of my intentions of the pool!
    I smell a skate party a brewin!

steelcomp
    which high school?Birmingham

superdave013
    A few buddies and myself trek'd up to "Baldy pipe" last summer, only to find the city tried to pour concrete on the tranny and lag 2X4's at the mouth, when we arrived up there there were holes in the tranny and very horrible terrain throughout the pipe! still sk8ted it but it was even more difficult that a few years prior!
    i still think old pipe was better, only because the park had more to offer as to what i still enjoy skating,...true the parks today are manicured much better than yesterday, but that is what was grit about skating, just like the backyard pools around town, pool builders could give a shit about the local skater kids skating their swimming holes, the talent and pool building skills have come a very,very long way since the 70-80's at least in my experience!
    Funny thing is, just sunday evening, a guy that i've known for quite a while heard that i was interested in having a pool built for my family, but the clincher was that i wanted a dual purpos pool,...swin the summer and skate the winter, the pool is in the planning stages, but i hope it will be reality by the spring!
    wish me luck, and NO! you cannot have my address! lol
    the one thing that the pool will have is eyelets where i can chain it off when not around! Ive been hoping my wife would come around in my idea for the landscaping of the backyard, things have been looking up for the last couple of weeks , and she is full aware of my intentions of the pool!
    I smell a skate party a brewin!
    I know where you live and I'm gonna poach that new pool!! haha

you'll have to get past the dogs first! bwaaahaaa!
    That is the wifes teacup chiwaawhatever, and my fire breathing Golden Retriever!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234