Thread: Quick Carb Question

BlueNun
    I can buy a brand new Edelbrock 750 Performer Carb w electric choke for $100
    still in the box.
    Will this get by ok on a mild 496 jet?? I know some power will be lacking but for a lake/ski boat will it be enough???
    The price is right and I am putting it on a RPM Air gap intake.
    I have a buddy who went thru a bunch of carbs on his 502 and he loves the Edelbrock for tuning and smooth power. He says is pulls thru the whole rpm band and runs really really well compaired to the Holleys he tried. He is also running a Bravo 1 and not a jet.
    Thanks

BrendellaJet
    Go Holley. Buy the manual that covers tuning & rebuilding. Learn how to work on it and you will realize that they are really pretty simple to work on. For most motors, setting the floats, idle mixture and idle speed, then check timing. THen do it all over again and maybe again for good measure. Motor will run really nice. More power than the edelbrock in nearly every case that I have heard of someone switching. If you want to make even more power you can play around with jets to try to fine tune it.
    If someone doesn't know how to work on them and they dont work right, they complain about the carb. What they need to do is study up on how to make sopme simple tuning adjustments and they would really like the carburetors.

Moneypitt
    For 100 bucks buy it...It will work on your application, and will always be worth 100 bucks.......MP

BlueNun
    Yes Brand New in Box

pw_Tony
    I don't think that will be enough for your 496 Blue! Throw that thing in there! I didn't know 13.5:1 was mild

BlueNun
    I sold that motor a couple weeks ago. Building another one.

bigblockbill
    I have thrown some of the eldelbroke carbs in the lake cause they just don't work. There is a reason they are soo cheap. Yes you can bolt one on and make the thing run, but step on the gas and you will be disappointed. Buy a good holley 850 to 1050 for that 496 and life will be good.

1968Droptop
    I have thrown some of the eldelbroke carbs in the lake cause they just don't work.............
    DITTO !!! I think they're absolute junk. Had 3 new ones, and not one ever worked right . WAY better with a Holley !!!

Buy it. . ..sell it for $200 and apply the $100 to a good 850 to 950 cfm carb.