Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weekend at Mikes Sky Ranch, Baja Norte

Sleeper CP
    Got back last night from Mike's Sky Ranch on a friends annual Motorcycle ride to celebrate his birthday. He's the fastest damn 58 yr old you have ever seen ride a dirt bike. He has won numerous Baja 1,000's and 500's and in his early at 50's was racing class 30 with my brother James and other friend's. I thought I would post a few pictures of our 300+ mile weekend trip.
    The ride is 150 miles each way, we start in Tecate and head South. This year the 28 of us we got started in Tecate at 9:00 am and got to Mike's at 5:30 p.m. (last rider in anyway). It rained on us for most of the day 36 degree rain for 100+ miles. I was riding with the two sweepers, because I was to damn cold to ride fast did the last 40 miles in the dark in the rain with out goggles. Mikes is at 3,800 ft altitude the snow line was right at 4,000 ft.
    It got colder riding home on Sunday. Believe it or not it is more comfortable riding in snow(65 miles worth) than it is in 36-40 degree rain.
    We had a blast and next year will be Cliffs 20th year of doing this. This is the 3rd time that we have ridden in the snow on the ride. This trip will give us something to talk about for many years.
    Mikes on Sunday Morning
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scan0001-1.jpg
    Second gas stop at the Saw Mill. Got warm from Ramona's stove and a hot cup of coffee at 5,300 ft.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scan0002-1.jpg
    Picture along the trail.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scan0003-2.jpg
    My XR-650R got me back and forth with no problems:
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/a...scan0004-3.jpg
    It was a great ride, One friend hit the ground pretty hard and gave himself a concussion and had to get hauled out to hwy 3 and put in the chase truck. Thank God for Sat phone's. I got off at about 10 mph in a sand wash and got rather personal with a sage brush bush and that's the only time I unloaded this weekend. I was riding to damn slow to really put my self in much jeopardy this ride.
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford and Baja lover

coolchange
    Wow! I'd love to do that some time. But I can't get anyone to go anyway. Last group of people I knew that did it won't go again.

CBadDad
    Wowe, waayyy cool!
    And in the snow to boot....that's a trip of a lifetime.

Sleeper CP
    Wow! I'd love to do that some time. But I can't get anyone to go anyway. Last group of people I knew that did it won't go again.
    Mexico is doing very poorly with "the bad guy's" right now. Bunch of thuggs so you have to be careful. But the riding is like nothing you can do here in Southern Cal or Arizona. It is just fantastic. We make 3 three big ride's a year(Mike's, The Old Mill and Guadalupe Hot Springs) and a few small ones depending on schedules and weather.
    Sleeper CP

Outnumbered
    Mexico is doing very poorly with "the bad guy's" right now. Bunch of thuggs so you have to be careful. But the riding is like nothing you can do here in Southern Cal or Arizona. It is just fantastic. We make 3 three big ride's a year(Mike's, The Old Mill and Guadalupe Hot Springs) and a few small ones depending on schedules and weather.
    Sleeper CP
    Great pics. I have always dreamed of doing that. I would love to do that ride but would never feel it would be worth risking being robbed, killed, or treated in a Mexican hospital:sqeyes: . Maybe after Mexico becomes part of the USA I will do it
    BTW, I have ridden with a few guys that have been down there and they say that the trails here in AZ are comparable in terrain if you know where to ride. I have been absolutely blown away with the riding available here in AZ. As a Cali resident, I never had an idea of just how many and how good the trails are here in AZ. I don't think I could ever ride them all in a lifetime.
    I think I will stay safe here at home in AZ.

Sleeper CP
    Great pics.
    BTW, I have ridden with a few guys that have been down there and they say that the trails here in AZ are comparable in terrain if you know where to ride. I have been absolutely blown away with the riding available here in AZ. As a Cali resident, I never had an idea of just how many and how good the trails are here in AZ. I don't think I could ever ride them all in a lifetime.
    Cal and AZ do have good trails if you know where to find them. Here in Cal you really need to have a dual sport bike so you can ride on the Hwy. In Mexico I can ride my dirt bike in Down Town Ensenada or TJ with out a problem, as long as I obey the traffic laws.
    Among the cool thing's of riding in Mexico is the ride from Santa Thomas to San Quinitin(The Old Mill) it is 130 miles down the coast. For one section we are on the beach for 13 miles dodging the surf. And then the 120 mile ride to Guadalupe Hot Springs we ride into the pine forest up to 6,000 ft and then drop to the desert floor. Nothing like getting off a dirt bike after 120 miles with a beer or margarita and slipping into a natural hot tub.
    Sleeper CP

Cigalert
    Great pics. I have always dreamed of doing that. I would love to do that ride but would never feel it would be worth risking being robbed, killed, or treated in a Mexican hospital:sqeyes: . Maybe after Mexico becomes part of the USA I will do it
    If Mexico ever becomes part of the US they'll make the whole country a national park and outlaw offroad vehicles entirely.

gramps
    who was the birthday boy? by your description it almost sounds like someone we used to ride with.

Outnumbered
    Cal and AZ do have good trails if you know where to find them. Here in Cal you really need to have a dual sport bike so you can ride on the Hwy. In Mexico I can ride my dirt bike in Down Town Ensenada or TJ with out a problem, as long as I obey the traffic laws.
    Among the cool thing's of riding in Mexico is the ride from Santa Thomas to San Quinitin(The Old Mill) it is 130 miles down the coast. For one section we are on the beach for 13 miles dodging the surf. And then the 120 mile ride to Guadalupe Hot Springs we ride into the pine forest up to 6,000 ft and then drop to the desert floor. Nothing like getting off a dirt bike after 120 miles with a beer or margarita and slipping into a natural hot tub.
    Sleeper CP
    OK, I'll give you that The beach factor is the only way AZ cannot compete. It is too bad Rocky Point was not part of AZ/USA. It would be the perfect place to live
    BTW, you can DS just about any bike here in AZ. I hope it stays that way.

bajarunner
    I love that ride to mikes, one of the best places on earth to ride a bike IMO. Can't wait to get there either, steak dinner, and mikes tequila, damn makes me wanna go!
    Glad you guys had a safe, fun, trip!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast