Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any bathroom remodelers pro's here?

phebus
    Just wear a wetsuit. :idea:

maxwedge
    As long as your ripping up the whole bathroom anyway, radiant heat is easy. They make electric grids that get mortared right under the tile, even in shower stalls if you want, or you could use a hydronic (hot water) system, that would likely be far more expensive to install, but probably will be more effcient to run, especially if you are using a gas water heater. Also, hydronic is generally easier to install if it can be placed directly in the slab when it's poured or if there is access between the joists on a wood floor. The electric mat systems cost anywhere for $300 and up depending on size, quality, features, etc. The nice thing about the mats is you can place them just in areas where you are likely to be standing, like right in front of the sink or shower, so you don't neccsarily have to cover the whole area, especially if it is already heated by other means. The main drawback with any of the radiant systems I've used is that it they take a while to heat up (several hours) so you pretty much have to leave it on all the time, or use a timer, but it does keep you nice and toasty in a way forced air can't. Also it's important that the installer knows what they are doing or you are going to have tons of cracked tiles.

BoatPI
    I solved some of this recently during a remodel of two bathrooms.
    It is cool and damp at the beach most of the time so we insulated all walls INCLUDING the interior walls, and added a plastic vapor barrier taping all seams. Do not forget to foam fill the holes that the pipes travel through.

Mandelon
    I solved some of this recently during a remodel of two bathrooms.
    It is cool and damp at the beach most of the time so we insulated all walls INCLUDING the interior walls, and added a plastic vapor barrier taping all seams. Do not forget to foam fill the holes that the pipes travel through.
    Plastic vapor barrier? Visqueen or Tyvek?
    Visqueen=bad. No vapor transfer at all.....condensation can form in the wall and cause real moisture problems.

YeLLowBoaT
    most people these days just use a closed cell foam in bathrooms( atleast on higher end homes)

Mandelon
    most people these days just use a closed cell foam in bathrooms( atleast on higher end homes)
    That can be bad too. People don't understand about vapor transfer and the dangers of condensation within closed up wall cavities. A house exhausts moisture vapors through the walls...yes right through the drywall. And when it can't get out.....it can condense inside especially given large temp differences.

YeLLowBoaT
    the idea behind the closed cell stuff is that its so dense that it allow moisture to travel very slow. Atleast thats info I've gotton from 3 insulation contractors I have spoken with about it. I have to admit is pretty cool watching them spray that stuff as a liquid and watching it expand.
    I hate fiber glass...

Mandelon
    As long as the vapor can transfer.....that's what matters. That's why Tyvek is the shizz. It has pores small enough for water vapor to transfer, but not liquid itself.

BoatPI
    Tyvek IS the SAI. My whole house has it and the new bathrooms, then tar paper layer and metal screen as my tule contractor even floated the walls so they are 100% flat and level. Entire room in travertine except ceiling that is cedar.
    When I built the upstairs master it got the 11" valted ceiling and amazingly NO mold even in the corners. living by the beach is fine but it has challenges.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234