Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pump Max Out RPM

Jetaholic
    OK...I understand how the whole HP/RPM thing works on pumps. However...
    Water is a liquid, which is non compressable. Eventually, the pump has to reach a max RPM where it just cannot move anymore water through it without exploding the pump. You could throw as much horsepower as you want at a given pump, and the pump just isn't gonna flow anymore water through it without exploding once it hits a certain RPM.
    Is there a way to find out with a given impeller size at what RPM the pump reaches max possible flow?

BrendellaJet
    you have to be able to keep it loaded too.

BAE_557
    4000+ HP turns my AMT 9.5 Hi Helix impeller with inducer 10000 RPM with intake pressure at 80 PSI

Sleeper CP
    4000+ HP turns my AMT 9.5 Hi Helix impeller with inducer 10000 RPM with intake pressure at 80 PSI
    Just got to love that everyday "ski boat"
    Sleeper CP
    Big Inch Ford Lover

YeLLowBoaT
    I would think you would break something on the pump before you reached the point where you could not longer increase the outflow... assuming it stays loaded.

Jetaholic
    I would think you would break something on the pump before you reached the point where you could not longer increase the outflow... assuming it stays loaded.
    Right...which is what arises the question....
    At what RPM does the pump itself completely max out?

If 4000 HP turns an impeller 10,000 RPM's does it really matter what maxinum RPM/flow is?

Bow Tie Omega
    Water is a liquid, which is non compressable. Eventually, the pump has to reach a max RPM where it just cannot move anymore water through it without exploding the pump. You could throw as much horsepower as you want at a given pump, and the pump just isn't gonna flow anymore water through it without exploding once it hits a certain RPM.
    Is there a way to find out with a given impeller size at what RPM the pump reaches max possible flow?
    I always thought it would be cool to install a high volume/flow flow meter to the ends of all of the pumps out there and actually measure what each is doing at a given rpm with a similar impeller. I think this would offer alot of insite as to the performance characteristics of each with numbers we could quantify into a tangible value. At the end of the day, these are all just water pumps. The pump that can move the most water the fastest using the least amount of energy to do so would in all logical thinking be the better pump.

Bow Tie Omega
    I always thought it would be cool to install a high volume/flow flow meter to the ends of all of the pumps out there and actually measure what each is doing at a given rpm with a similar impeller. I think this would offer alot of insite as to the performance characteristics of each with numbers we could quantify into a tangible value. At the end of the day, these are all just water pumps. The pump that can move the most water the fastest using the least amount of energy to do so would in all logical thinking be the better pump.....That is my theory anyways.

widowmaker
    At some point all pumps regardless of size and flow lose efficiency at some point. As far as the common jet as most of us know that point is way beyond the power we have available and for the few who are making lots of power. I'd imagine they've broken their fair share of parts.
    just curious at what point do you start twisting impeller shafts??? With 4000 hp?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast