Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weights are IN!

Wizard612
    Gee I was cleaning up around the house yesterday and found my old data plate from my Eliminator 19 Daytona from 1977 (no kidding) and the plate said 600 lbs for the bare hull. I thought that those alum. hulls were feather weights but tough. I guess tough still holds true...

VAMI
    19 foot vs 21 foot and more freeboard thats pretty light.

jet4fun
    pics?

Thats light for a 21 ft. boat. Very cool.

jet4fun
    i dont have the balls to do it. but how come nobody has ever tried to run an aluminum boat at the boat drags? there always seems to be a lot of debate about how superior these boats are to the fiberglass boats. but yet the only place i have ever really seen them run is in the river races that nobody will ever take a fiberglass boat to. so there has never really been a head to head comparison of the two. seems to me like there is a weight advatage here and can still be strong i dunno

Xerophobic
    i dont have the balls to do it. but how come nobody has ever tried to run an aluminum boat at the boat drags? there always seems to be a lot of debate about how superior these boats are to the fiberglass boats. but yet the only place i have ever really seen them run is in the river races that nobody will ever take a fiberglass boat to. so there has never really been a head to head comparison of the two. seems to me like there is a weight advatage here and can still be strong i dunno
    Dont be so sure! Its been done, just guys started to think there has to be a better way! lol

http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/bradley_183.jpg
    You gotta see the crap these guys are driving through on this DVD in a picklefork tunnel ! (looks like a Cougar ??)
    Look at the AIR that guy has in the top right! LOL
    http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/files/dscf0272_538.jpg
    Cheers

Xerophobic
    Gee I was cleaning up around the house yesterday and found my old data plate from my Eliminator 19 Daytona from 1977 (no kidding) and the plate said 600 lbs for the bare hull. I thought that those alum. hulls were feather weights but tough. I guess tough still holds true...
    I think you sorta explained it in your own statement. While the FX boat mentioned "is" a lightweight boat its a lightweight boat by whitewater standards, it still has to survive the same race course any oither boat does. While I wouldnt say its on the utter limit of weight I doubt the extra performance gained by making it lighter would warrant the risk of damaging the hull.
    Now if we went by a more drag racing standard of lightweight where the boat basically wouldnt survive a run that deviated much from a "normal pass" then it would be a different gameplan. A thinner keel may be possible but also take note here the lighter the sheets the more difficult the hull to fabricate. And I'd venture to say that difficulty goes up exponentially.
    For how strong that hull is compared to a glass boat thats VERY light
    (example: we've tried 0.102" transoms but found they didn't last very long and started cracking, but get this: they were doing that as a result of trailering!)
    Cheers

VAMI
    Santa brought my spoon today.

jet4fun
    k, you got me one the fiberglass river boat. it was kinda just a generalization anyways. you proved my point.
    so back to my original question. why doesnt someone build an aluminum drag boat?

Xerophobic
    Get to work! and this time I want video of your results!....god knows we could use something up here to warm us up!
    brrrrrrrrrrr
    minus 13 this morning (8 degree's for you folks south of the border)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast