Thread: Transom Gear for Cav Plates - HD Stuff

VDRIVERACING
    Who makes the baddest, will not fail, cavitation shaft and transom block setup? I know where to get turn buckles that will hold the Golden Gate Bridge, but I'm looking at my 1970's Hallcraft hex shaft gear, and it's making me nervous.
    While you're flinging you weighty knowlegde around, what's the latest thinking on backup plates for the transom. Angle, flat? 1/4" thick, more?
    Let the guru's weigh in. If you don't know jack shi% but have seen a nice setup, you're invited too!

Icarus prospector
    Perfect timing, as I'm looking for the same info.

DualDoxies
    Prime Marine just have money !!!

Marty Gras
    I'll be set up in mid January, and can make whatever you want. I'll try to guide you to what you really need, but if you want more I'll take your money! Been doing it for over 31 years, got a good idea what it takes. YOU TELL ME!

howardflatty
    prime marine

superdave013
    the weak link on mine always seemed to be the bolt that held the control levers on (or the delio between the shaft and turn buckles). I used to break those suckers every now and then. Have not had a problem for a number of years due to me being lazy and dry docking the boat.
    Most of those shafts are 7/8" and the bolt are 3/8. Maybe use some 17-4 bolts instead of the soft 304 jobbies. Or maybe redesign the deal so there are not through bolted with only one bolt.
    I never had a problem with transom pillow blocks. But I never ran the ones that were all lightened up.
    I have a complete machine shop also. More of a job shop setting and I don't really go after boat stuff. But if you draw up a sketch of what you want I would quote it.