Thread: water in 888 drive alpha lower (twins)

nova1
    Some thoughts would help. Last year, hit a log, cracked lower. drained lower of oil and a ton of water. Insurace paid the local shop to rebuild lower and allowed for new lower housing too.
    When I used the boat for the first time late 07 after repair the port side(repaired) was hard to shift. Had to force it, used 4 times to end of year.
    So here is the big delema. Fired boat up few days ago for first time let run with muffs on it for 1/2 hr and tune carb. Now wont shift at all. Took back to shop. Drive no oil, bearing carrier pushed out probably due to water behind it then freezing, gears rusted upper, lower now shot. If this lower unit was rebuilt with new housing, what happend to oil, how did water get in and destroy upper and lower? the new lower is a sealed unit other than transfer areas between the upper and lower.
    My thouhts are water had gone through upper last year when they fixed lower and they did not check upper. Then bearings and seals begin to rust, leak and waller out and allowing shafts to move around. Then eventially allowing water and oil to mix, leak then fail..
    Oh and the bellows looks ok.... any mech. out there that have any ideas.
    The shop is unsure what happend but they got their $2,420.00 last year.

Bondo
    how did water get in and destroy upper and lower? the new lower is a sealed unit other than transfer areas between the upper and lower.
    Ayuh,..... Obviously,... There was a Leak.... It could very well have been in the Upper, as they both share the Oil Cavity..... The Oil, or Water in your case Freely flows between the upper,+ lower...
    The 4 times you used it last season is Plenty of time to do the Damage,....
    Then You compounded the problem by Not draining,+ refilling Before Winter.....
    At this point,... An aftermarket drive from SEI will only set your back about $1300./ $1500. for a Brand New drive with a 3 year warranty...
    When I used the boat for the first time late 07 after repair the port side(repaired) was hard to shift. Had to force it,
    Ayuh,..... That sounds like the Lower Shift Cable is Junk..... Replace it....

Oldmop
    When they repaired it they should have Vac & Pressure checked it, like mentioned above it is common oil top & bottom. 4 trips and failure is a bit questionable!
    Phil

nova1
    Weeeell ,,,end result. Both are at fault here, I guess? To bad for me and my little conscience sitting on my shoulder. I have owned boats since I was a wee tad of 22 and know better than not checking and re-filling the drive with clean oil when putting away at winter time. Eventhough I only used a few times before putting it away.
    If I would have caught the water issue then. I could have taken it back to the repair shop and said " here you go boy's your problem"
    So I guess I'm going with a new Mec MR- Alpha-1 entire upper and lower for a nice $2,400.00 %$#@&... Getting some labor free on the bellows and Gibal and etc.
    BIG HOE WITH A LOT OF MY DOUGH....

Bondo
    So I guess I'm going with a new Mec MR- Alpha-1 entire upper and lower for a nice $2,400.00 %$#@&...
    Ayuh,.....
    Or,.....
    You can just bolt on a pair of Brand New SEI drives at $1300.00 a piece.......
    That's Complete Drives,... Upper,+ Lower... With a 3 year warrenty...