Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 460 idles fine, backfires and dies when trying to plane out

SBC Jetboat
    Felpro

BrotherWolf
    Felpro
    the ones that have the silcone around the ports??...what about the copper ones??

justfloatn
    Copper is for high compression and works best with an 0-ringed block/heads.
    Save your money and get the basic High Performance gaskets

shmuck2002
    Hi guys,
    Getting back to my original post, I would like to start exploring the possibility of an issue in the ignition system. When it comes to engines, this is the part I know the least about. Attached is a picture of my distributor and coil.
    I've popped the distributor cap off before to inspect, there's no sign of wear, or burns from arcing. No signs of cracks, and there's no corrosion or contaminants where the plugs come in.
    here's the picture: http://cobraftp.serveftp.com:81/pub/ignition.jpg

shmuck2002
    Hey guys,
    My problems seem to be fixed! Last week I replaced the distributor, plug wires, and plugs. After setting the timing to 13 degrees, she was running good, however still getting those mini backfires at high RPM when on the trailer. I decided to go ahead and pull it up to the lake and just give it a try. She runs better than the day I bought her! Very strong, responsive, and no troubles at WOT, for several minutes across the lake. Everything seems to check out now.
    What I'm wondering is, was I chasing the wrong problem from the get-go? The mini backfires, is that possibly caused because the motor is spinning under no load? It did not do that, or anything fishy, after a full day of running it. I tested it again after getting it back home, and it still does the mini backfires when running with no load.

460rogers
    Ford 460, having a problem with it running strong for about 90 seconds, then would stall. Would not start up again for about 3 minutes, then would repeat the same pattern (as we're desperately trying to get back to the launch from the furthest point on the lake!!).
    This sounds like a classic coil going bad scenario to me.
    Have you changed the coil???
    Just my .02

firstjetinMN
    Had the same issue with my 460 Ford..... Replace the coil, they are cheap. And by god don't ever run a Unilite in your distributor...They are junk and will drive you made, they are unrealiable and break like nothing.

shmuck2002
    Hey guys,
    The distributor unit I installed is an Accel. The only thing in my ignition system that has not been replaced is the coil - Is there a particular one you guys recommend with that distributor?
    I did have it cut out on me once since i last posted. I took it out for a 4 day camping trip and we ran it like we stole it all weekend, without a single hesitation. I took it out one day after that, and it stalled out on me once, I let it sit about 5 min, fired right up, and we were ready to go home anyway, so we headed back to the launch.
    The only thing I can think about that particular run that was different is, i was letting my brother and son and wife trade off driving, and since they arent used to it, they were going slow, probably about 2200 RPM, just barely on a plane, for about 15 minutes. When I took over, I punched it good and drove it like I usually do, and about 30 seconds into my take-over is when it stalled. All I can think is, the way they were driving probably puts it under a lot more load than driving it faster, because it's not really out of the water, its sort of "plowing" along, and not running in it's optimum RPM range. I really wish I had taken notice of the temp when I took over, but I did not. I noticed when we stopped that the temp gauge was pegged, however I noticed later (since I was watching it carefully now), that as soon as you start it, it drops down to the 160 - 180 degrees range, making me think that with the engine off, it shows the high temp because the sensor is at the top of the intake manifold, probably where steam would accumulate when the engine isn't running...
    Does that theory hold any water (so to speak)?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123