Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trans on a jet

NorCal Gameshow
    dumb question time, why don't we see trans. hooked up on jet boats (other than no need for reverse)?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    norcal spectra:
    dumb question time, why don't we see trans. hooked up on jet boats (other than no need for reverse)? I dont think its a dumb question. Actually I have been wondering myself, I just never asked the question.

I think there are a bunch of reasons for not having a trans in a jet boat- 1- Don't need it-Jets have excellent holeshots,most have a reverse bucket. Want more rpm- drop in a "smaller" impeller. 2- Most of the jets I've seen have precious little interior room now-move the motor forward another 2-2 1/2 feet, and not much left for coolers and passengers. 3. Much money and time is spent trying to move the engine and pump BACK- not forward- to increase performance. 4 Additional weight of trans would be like cruising around with a couple extra passengers all the time-More weight=sloooooower jet boat. Just my $.02 Stan

PUMP 'HER'
    just less stuff to go wrong?

cyclone
    space limitation is probably the main factor you don't see it. There have been guys that have run a planetary setup between the motor and jet before. I believe that Steve Brule successfully used a Gear Vendors Overdrive unit in his raceboat until it was deemed illegal for use in competition. You'd have to ask him about it to get the full scoop.

Unchained
    I believe the reason the racers use the gearbox is to run the engine RPM real high but still use a large impeller, AA or larger. The pump is more efficient with a larger impeller and looses efficiency as you cut the impeller down. Less impeller surface area = more slippage.

malcolm
    Hey Norcal, how's your boat doing? Mine's all tore down. Gonna try to get a pump and motor done before next season.

NorCal Gameshow
    hello malcolm, mine's still in one piece, i've got the bug to take it out, so i'll probably hit the lake soon.did you replace your steering ?

NorCal Gameshow
    i get the space reason, it would be nice to fire it up in park and not worry about the pump, as well as not sacrifice low end to get rpm's.

malcolm
    No steering yet. If I have any money left in the late spring I'll do it then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast