Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: trans on a jet

malcolm
    On the trans issue, I've thought about that too. I figured it would be fun to do in a little bigger boat. Run the biggest imp. you could find and start out in low and let it shift on it's own. Ha Ha! That would sound cool! Although you probably could'nt run high gear without 1000+ HP.

Jbb
    zzzzzz

malcolm
    Now what would I want with one of those.
    [ January 03, 2003, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: malcolm ]

Dave, I don't think that ever had an application in a jet boat. There have been planetary gearboxes used in race boats. Keith Zellmer used one in his Risky Business, but it was to reduce output rpm to better match the pump.
    I think JBB got that gearbox from someone who used it in a wheelstanding drag car.

malcolm
    Here I thought the little z's above the pic ment he was sleeping.

RiverDave:
    Notice the "Don't quote me on that" portion of my post..
    RD That's why I didn't use the "quote" function when I posted

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    I LOVE HOW SIMPLE A JET BOAT IS COMPARED TO SAY AN OUTDRIVE BOAT! NO WATER PUMP(s), NO GRINDING WHEN IT GOES INTO REVERSE, AND ALL THOSE PARTS THAT CAN GO BAD IN AN OUTDRIVE... I LIKE SIMPLE, IT TENDS TO WORK BETTER LONGER!

HammerDown
    THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER:
    I LOVE HOW SIMPLE A JET BOAT IS COMPARED TO SAY AN OUTDRIVE BOAT! NO WATER PUMP(s), NO GRINDING WHEN IT GOES INTO REVERSE, AND ALL THOSE PARTS THAT CAN GO BAD IN AN OUTDRIVE... I LIKE SIMPLE, IT TENDS TO WORK BETTER LONGER! I agree with the above...but it sure would be nice somehow to get more mph's out of the same rpm's...and I'm talking significant #'s not just a few.

Hallett19
    The reason nobody uses transmissions on jets is because jets are only efficient up to around 7000rpms, any faster and you are just moving air,so the need to spin a jet any faster is un-neccesary. That and I don't think its possible to turn a jet that fast unless you are throwing 1500 hp at it.

NorCal Gameshow
    Hallett19:
    The reason nobody uses transmissions on jets is because jets are only efficient up to around 7000rpms, any faster and you are just moving air,so the need to spin a jet any faster is un-neccesary. That and I don't think its possible to turn a jet that fast unless you are throwing 1500 hp at it. i was thinking using a "B" imp and still having some good bottom end. the space issue is probably the biggest problem.
    spam atert "1972 spectra 18 for sale " pm for details

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12