Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my boat is SLOW help

brad_man_72
    best first post ever!
    i have a 66 stevens silouette with a 1963 300hp 327, velevetdrive trans, 1:1 casale toploader and a 26? pitch 3 blade brass/bronze prop.
    hot foot all the way down 3500rpm and aprox 45mph.
    something has to be wrong.... right?

New prop and change gears..:wink:

obnoxious001
    best first post ever!
    i have a 66 stevens silouette with a 1963 300hp 327, velevetdrive trans, 1:1 casale toploader and a 26? pitch 3 blade brass/bronze prop.
    hot foot all the way down 3500rpm and aprox 45mph.
    something has to be wrong.... right?
    Seems like the engine should turn quite a bit higher. When you say it's 1:1, have you checked that ratio by marking the prop shaft and rotating the engine 1 revolution to verify? Never heard of a 26 pitch prop on a flat, where did you get that figure?
    How long have you owned the boat. Does the engine appear to run properly, smooth, no misfiring, decent acceleration?

brad_man_72
    i have owned the boat for a little less than a year
    1:1 on velvet drive tag
    i havent turned prop shaft or counted teeth in the v-drive
    26 is stamped on the prop. their was another number that had a dash in it, all hard to read because of polishing. boat seems to run good.
    im not getting WOT moon hot foot has leaky hydraulic cylinder, so secondaries werent opening on the carter afb, and the accelerator pump isnt working.
    put used edelbrock on the boat got better throttle response and another 500 rpm.
    so ive got some more obvious tinkering to do.
    am i wrong to believe that this combination is capable of 5500 rpm burst and 60mph

My bad for the sarcastic remark!!! I assumed which is bad to begin with!!

brad_man_72
    My bad for the sarcastic remark!!! I assumed which is bad to begin with!!
    i didnt hold it against you, i assumed you didnt read my whole post. there it is again the root of all f ups assuming.

Sure is!!! Any luck? Just my recommendation, but I would probably find a smaller pitch prop. Just a thought.

brad_man_72
    just about everything having to do with fuel delivery seems to be at least a little messed up. not so messed up as to make the engine run poorley (missing backfiring ect) just not enough fuel, air, and throttle. i need to rebuild hydraulic throttle linkage, swap carbs, and take it for a test and tune. hopefully i will see some acceptable numbers.
    with the price of gas and other projects i cant really afford to buy a good prop or some gears. hopefully i can live with it running correctly for the rest of the season.

I completely understand that!!! Where do you boat at?

brad_man_72
    i usually go to tablerock lake, the busier side is closer to where i live (1 hour insead of 1.5 hours) so ive been going there so far this summer. the water has been at a record high so the huge boats cant get under one of the bridges and alot of the ramps and campgrounds are closed so its been pretty quiet so far.
    you're in az should i ASSUME havasu?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast