Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my boat is SLOW help

That's funny big boats can't get under the bridge!!! I hate those things!! I'm originally from Mohave Valley (north of havasu on the river) but I'm currently living in Quartzsite/Blythe area. Where's table rock lake at?

brad_man_72
    table rock is located in southwest missouri, the really nice quiet clean parts are in arkansas. yeah the big boats suck, they are generally plowing up the lake half plained out, having no clue what the consequences are on a low profile boat without a bilge pump. hell even hangin out at the swing i have to keep an eye out for people in ski boats who are plowing through the crowd. makes me ALMOST want a jet with a place diverter, but that would get me into alot of trouble.

I would guess you guys have plenty of water right now!! You guys having the same problem as the rest with flooding?

brad_man_72
    around here most of the flooding is concentrated around the lake, some people have had to use boats to get to their houses for over a month. all wet weather creeks streams and ditches have had flash flooding any time it has rained, that has caused standing water to be in my yard alot, only damage ive had is my sump pump wasnt working earlier in the spring, my crawl space flooded and took out my air conditioner $100 i could have used for gas.
    if i could find a mulching prop for the boat i wouldnt have to GO TO the lake or mow!
    hydraulic throttle linkage fixed, cracked open line and added atf, not enough fluid to get full range of motion before. hopefully new carb this week, either way im going to the lake to try WOT for the first time, wasnt even opening secondaires before.
    im kinda nervous, the boat was alot of fun at 45mph.

brad_man_72
    i survived. 55+mph as measured from a slower (52mph) boats wishometer @ 4500rpm. still having some problems with detonation, i messed with timing a little and it looks like i need to spend more money at the pump. still waiting on new (to me) carb.

curtis73
    Another thing to keep in mind; any engine prior to about 1971 was rated at gross HP which was without accessories, driveline, exhaust, and was also influenced by insurance companies, marketing voodoo, and moon phase. Your 1963 engine rated at 300 hp might be making as little as 210-230 hp by today's measuring standards.
    Back in those muscle car days, there were HP ratings that were way off. I had an AMC with a straight six that was rated at 125 hp that actually made about 86 hp. The marketing staff knew that no one would buy an 86 hp vehicle so they fudged. Contrast that with the LS6 454 that was rated at 425 hp. It actually made somewhere north of 500 hp, but insurance companies wouldn't touch it so they published lower numbers.

twocents
    Maybe this will help a little bit -- there's no way your 3-blade bronze prop is a 26 pitch. If it was, you'd be running about 80 mph at 3,500 rpm which is definitely not the case. Assuming you have a 1:1 gearing, your prop is most likely a 12" diameter x 15" pitch, a very common size for a bronze 3-blade. If you can get 300 HP out of your engine, I would expect a redline rpm of 5,000 which would give you a top speed of about 61-62 mph which is where you want to be. Make sure you're getting everything out of your engine that it has to give, then start thinking about trying a different prop (maybe something like an 11-1/2" diameter x 16" pitch, or maybe even a 2-blade) for more top end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12