Thread: Vibration/Noise at low speed only

woodyno
    Hello all,
    I'm having a problem at idle speed (foward & reverse) but seems to go away once I get the rpms up, it sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft, but the universals feel tight. I recently picked up this 22 Schiada day crusier (1974) to use up at Tahoe, she has 427 ford with a velvet drive tranny, and a v-drive I've never heard of it's a "percision v glide" model v7300. Does anybody have a direction for me to head in before the money starts flowing?

v-man
    I just had this conversation with my father in law tonight. He has had over 20 v-drive boats and about the same in jets. We have a velvet drive and tranny in our 20 foot sanger. We been having vibrations at low rpm and goes away at about 1100 rpm. He told me it is in the v-drive. That there is some slop in the v-drive. I would check there first.:idea:

woodyno
    Thanks, I was afraid of that, I kinda thought that the bearing was moving in the case housing but wasn't sure. It does feel ever so slight a little play. Are you familar with a "percision V glide" v-drive unit, this thing is cast steel and pretty heavy duty, mounts like the casale 500 series v-drives. Any info would be greatly appreciated, I'm kinda new to the v-drive seen, put can turn a wrench, we also have a 64 rayson craft all original, everything is original. If I knew how to post pictures on here I could show her off a little.

brad_man_72
    my stevens does the same thing. top loader cassale v-drive, with mine it is the in/out coupler their is alot of slop designed into it and when the shaft isnt under constant load it rattles pretty bad.
    i know they make a 3pin conversion for that piece but i dont know if its just stronger or if it gets rid of the rattle.
    i have been swapping carbs alot lately, to set idle adjustment just put into gear when the ratteling stops its tuned good enough for a day at the lake.