Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat too loud!

psdperformance
    Need some help my father inlaws boat is too loud? 21 ft eliminator 454 bbc w/ regular hardin marin exhaust logs, he just put new exhaust tips on last summer and tack welded in the metal flappers with rubber tips. He replace the tips because the new motor was blowing out the full rubber flaps every time he ran the boat. What can we do to quit this boat down? It is loud enough you don't want to ride in it hardly. It quiets down one you are on a plane and running hard but from a stop ouch.. Any ideas? I measured from the flappers and there's only like 4" to the back of the tip. Is there something out there we can fit into the tip and quiet it down? Any and all suggestions would be great!:idea:

aussie pope
    HAH lets just trade boats... mines tooooooo quiet
    But seriously, stock logs and its too quiet for real? Is too loud at idle, or WOT? If its a loud at idle, back the timing down a touch, that should mellow out the tone. If too noisy at WOT, trade it for an outboard....
    Other than that I got nothing :shrug:

psdperformance
    Trade it in for an outboard Wow thanks for that one. This boat is a mini day cruiser style boat for the family/ski deal. If you are sitting in the way back two seats and you take off from a dead stop you had better have ear plugs in. Shoot it hearts my ears sitting in the front seat... Any ways if someone has any ideas on different exhaust tips reccomendations please let me know as it was never this load before.

540 Cheetah
    Your flappers are only there to prevent water from reentering the exhaust and going back into the cylinders.(reversion)
    If you truly want to quiet the boat down look into some muffler, slip on or inserts.
    I run gibson bullets they are good up to about 575-600 HP. with out loss of power. I run 790 hp and I can hold a conversation with my Mufflers, with out them forget it it gets loud.
    There are many styles, brands and price range to choose from.

centerhill condor
    the pope is right...build a bridge and get over it.
    boat too loud...of all the "problems" to have.
    CC

psdperformance
    CC,
    Really appreciate your constructive criticism. Wow:sqeyes: you have really contributed to this post and i really appreciate it. Obviously you have not read the post as i am not looking for a loud boat/hotrod. For i am sure you read where this is a family boat ,this means there are kids on the boat and they are having a hard time with the noise. If i am in the hot rod forum (no family boats allowed) i am sorry. Let me know where i can post and hopefully get a little help. I own a 1976 hawaiin daycruiser 455 olds 21 ft closed bow and do not have any issues with the noise. There fore i know something is not correct. What or better yet who do i need to talk to that can give me some professional advice on how to solve this problem? I am in Socal and need a good parts place to deal with.
    540 cheeta,
    Are you running over the transom exhaust or through transom? If you are running through transom where did you get your set up from? How much exhaust tip do you need after the flappers to install?

It would really help to know what your current setup is. How about a pic or two?

psdperformance
    The boat is in my avatar. it is basically the same boat eliminator made from the late 70's until 90's.Maybe they still make it. It is a closed bow 20.5 mini day cruiser. 454 big block chevy, berkley Jet. The motor has 9.5 compression
    fresh rebuild comp cams marine cam, stock heads, scat crank ( would not buy again). It has a ride plate and a place diverter on the pump. It sounds fine at idle as the tips are in the water. Once you try to get on a plane it is so loud you have to plug your ears until you are screaming across the water on plane. Who are the main jet boat guru's in the Socal area i can call/ or have this fixed? Thanks in advance..

Cas
    these work pretty darn good-
    http://www.cpperformance.com/images/410-284401.jpg
    I made my own, sort of. I went down to the local muffler shop and had them flare the ends of some 2-1/2" exhaust pipe to the ID of my tips. I said tiPs guys!
    I then drilled a bunch of 1/4" holes all around those flares. I didn't have any noticeable loss in power and they really quieted the exhaust noise down. I'm pretty sure all they did was to disrupt the water flow enough to quiet it down.

9er
    I have the ones listed above. They helped a little and are inserted in the rubber exhaust hose between riser and tip.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast