Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 130 MPH Single Engine Howard?

captainblye
    I was on internet the other day and came across a video (links below) of a Howard 28 bullet going 130 MPH...If this is in fact true it is pretty impressive...After seeing the video it made me wonder, why don't they show up at a sanctioned kilo run? That way it will be officially in the record books...Right now I'm a bit of a sceptic...
    Everyone, what are your thoughts?
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2613251978023312254
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1439207833157380574

twocents
    The claim is 130 mph on a GPS. The boat did make a couple of runs at the April 2008 Desert Storm "Shoot-Out" in Havasu for a more official radar time. Unfortunately, water conditions were pretty poor which prevented an all-out speed attempt. Its best run of the event was a 107 mph. Not many sanctioned kilo type events around any more, especially out on the west coast.

kap
    Captainblye:
    No need for scepticism the boat ran the speed on GPS x 2. I was on the boat--- and hit 115MPH--- wherein it ran out of prop and hit the rev limiter.
    Hella! fast to say the least--- got the call when they hit 122MPH with two people in the boat---shortly thereafter different prop boat hit--- 130MPH and it still has little more .
    The kilo run is very difficult and expensive to set-up usually manufacturers pay to have them set-up and invite all to witness the record breaking for their model boat.
    Twocents is right the conditions at Desert Storm were atrociously bad ie... rough and not conducive to speed runs. Oh well! there is always next year.
    Very truly yours,
    KAP

Whipple Charged
    I was on internet the other day and came across a video (links below) of a Howard 28 bullet going 130 MPH...If this is in fact true it is pretty impressive...After seeing the video it made me wonder, why don't they show up at a sanctioned kilo run? That way it will be officially in the record books...Right now I'm a bit of a sceptic...
    Everyone, what are your thoughts?
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2613251978023312254
    video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1439207833157380574
    It certainly ran that speed, the boat is incredibly fast!

Decided Advantage
    It certainly ran that speed, the boat is incredibly fast!
    It goes without saying conditions have to be right to run over 110. TPI has the power, but if conditions aren't we aren't going to see the big number.
    The good news is Howard's hull provides the feedback and the driver is smart enough to resist twist it's tail past what's safe.
    No room for an accident here!
    Speaking of numbers, an expose on the motor/drive would be interesting.... hint hint )

90mphRAGE
    I'm also skeptical. 110-115 maybe. I have a 25 Nordic w/ 750ish HP and can run 90 under IDEAL conditions. Maybe 1000HP would get you 110 in a Vee tops.

Decided Advantage
    The apparent partnership between GT and Howard has definitely built some great boats.
    Testing is expensive and with low production outfits they really can't play those games.
    The Howard hulls have proven to be very fast and handle decent.
    130 in less than perfect conditions...no way! The number go down fast.
    I believe the 2xGPSs but the chances of backing it up any time soon are low.
    To impressive feat for sure.

bigkatboat
    I'm also skeptical. 110-115 maybe. I have a 25 Nordic w/ 750ish HP and can run 90 under IDEAL conditions. Maybe 1000HP would get you 110 in a Vee tops.
    Sir, your 25' Nordic has no tail lift. (and NO rocker) look at your center strakes, they end in the middle of the hull. The Howard has enough lift to run the propshaft level and realize all the power the motor has to offer. I know Gary, and he only tells the truth. He has nothing to gain by altering the truth in any way. It does require the correct conditions to run ANY BOAT at higher speeds, and when conditions are correct, it will be official! The best part is that RACING SPEEDS are easily done with a TURN KEY POWER PLANT!

eliminator1974
    I have a 25 eliminator daytona an I have no problems putting it in the 120plus range. but like you said the conditions have to be pretty good. Especially anything past 110 or 115. But I never been anything past 127 an it gets really hairy up at those speed especially in a 25' boat

90mphRAGE
    With the right power and conditions an HUGE balls, it can be done. I recently ran across a youtube video (though you can't believe anything there) of a 25' Nordic with a twin turbo 572CI acheive over 114. The video looks quite convincing since only about an inch of boat was on the water (some how with no chine walk). The guy with the biggest wallet, motor and balls gets to claim this speed record.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast