Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overstuffing Pump

NEWTON
    I know this is a boat forum but, have ran out of options and figured that this place would be the best to ask.. please pardon my ignorance..I have jet ski that is over stuffing the pump at speeds over 80 so i put relief valves on my pump extension and bleed it that way but, my question is if I reduce the size of the tunnel will it?
    a. increase speed?
    b. reduce holeshot?
    c. reduce pump presure at the pump stator?
    any help would be appreciated , thanks for your time

NEWTON
    Anyone?????? thanks

firstjetinMN
    Not sure anyone has a remedy for lake Lice..... I usually Roost them to rid of them

bp
    how do you know it's overloading the pump? and what do you mean by "tunnel"?

NEWTON
    how do you know it's overloading the pump? and what do you mean by "tunnel"?At speeds over 80 the skis start to buck (where it feels like the back ran over a log) do to overstuffing. IE the pump tunnel is to big for the pump to process. I have one of the biggest pumps available ..I have a 2"pump extension that has 2 jet works valves tapped that blead off at 40psi so it does not affect holeshot. I closed part of the pump tunnel and it picked up .8mph via gps but, part came apart. also Iam thinking closeing off the intake grate some vs reducing tunnel size.. thanks for the replys.

NEWTON
    Not sure anyone has a remedy for lake Lice..... I usually Roost them to rid of them sorry I don't ride lakes :sleeping: I ride Ocean, so I guess that makes me a "Ocean Crab"

LuckyDaze
    Your ski is bucking because it is loosing its "traction" with the water. Most jet boaters will use a shoe or a loader to keep the pump hooked up. Your ski is pretty short and likely to propus easily which makes keeping a pump loaded extra difficult. My suggestion is to let off of the throttle before you kill yourself on something that should not be going that fast...
    Putting things in your pump to reduce the size of the opening in the intake is a dumb idea, if it comes apart it has to go through your pump. Impellers can get expensive. You have just reached the efficiency and safety point on your ski, thats about it bub.
    By the way, this is ***boat, you may find lots of information pertaining to boats here and little to do with "lake lice," or "ocean lice". Either way, theres forums for ya bud, google it.
    ~Brian

NEWTON
    Your ski is bucking because it is loosing its "traction" with the water. Most jet boaters will use a shoe or a loader to keep the pump hooked up. Your ski is pretty short and likely to propus easily which makes keeping a pump loaded extra difficult. My suggestion is to let off of the throttle before you kill yourself on something that should not be going that fast...
    Putting things in your pump to reduce the size of the opening in the intake is a dumb idea, if it comes apart it has to go through your pump. Impellers can get expensive. You have just reached the efficiency and safety point on your ski, thats about it bub.
    By the way, this is ***boat, you may find lots of information pertaining to boats here and little to do with "lake lice," or "ocean lice". Either way, theres forums for ya bud, google it.
    ~Brianboy you guys really dont like jet skiers.. we have some of these running right at 100mph but, the intake grates are breaking.. thanks for the help. Iam familar with the other forums (jet ski)out there and I assure you that if a boater went there asking questions they would not be treated like this...I have a Fountain boat just sits cause boats are boring to me...I ride my ski with respect for others (have for 12 years)and still get bitched at by fishermen on boats but, they dont say anything when a big boat with huge wake comes by but, my ski at 84 does not make much wake... oh well narrow minded people never the less..

I have a Fountain boat just sits cause boats are boring to me...
    No wonder, buy something in the 18-19' range and you'll have alot more fun!
    Every jetski I've been on when you hit WOT on good water the nose starts bouncing around, maybe your pump is unloading? Have you hooked a guage to the pump to see if you are really over pressurizing it?

NEWTON
    No wonder, buy something in the 18-19' range and you'll have alot more fun!
    Every jetski I've been on when you hit WOT on good water the nose starts bouncing around, maybe your pump is unloading? Have you hooked a guage to the pump to see if you are really over pressurizing it?thanks for the response. yes we hooked a gauge to it and it was huge thats when I tapped into the pump extension with the jetworks valves and it helped me go from80 to 83 plus. my thinking is by closing either the intake grate some and or closing the pump tunnel some, which should also help pick up speed (less water to process)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast