Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lake tahoe, some guidance needed

speeddreamon
    i've read about the winds, mapped the marinas, read about the campgrounds but it's hard to know the real "nuts and bolts" of a boat trip up there without having visited yet.
    my issues/questions/thoughts:
    1) i'll be drinking and i don't want to drive all over trying to put the boat in the water, take it out, meet up with people, etc. i'm trying to find a campground where all those activities can be minimized. ideally i'd own a house with my own launch ramp and have a hired boat driver so it didn't matter how much i abused my liver on any given day. (please no lectures on drunk boating, it's another topic)
    2) it's $20 in, $20 out, $30 roundtrip from what i understand. could a person anchor off shore with a fluke anchor (bow and stern) and keep it there overnight? if so, where are some campgrounds where doing so would be possible and close to your actual campsite. it's pretty clear i couldn't anchor on the east shore (waves), but is there any shoreline that is pretty calm all day? is the shoreline sandy enough for a fluke to grab pretty good?
    3) i've got an "old" jet boat, it's low in the water. i've got an awesome bilge system but i'm not crazy. is it practical to boat out there in such a small vessel, provided i stay away from the east side as winds pick up? if the waves get big, what are they like along the shorelines, is it possible to limp back to calmer waters or is it a death trap?
    4) most importantly with regard to number 3, i have a heck of a time docking the boat because most are too tall and just swallow the boat, it goes underneath them. are there some in particular that are "jet boat friendly"?
    5) what are the best camping areas where you can launch, park your rig, walk on-shore for supplies and anchor easily?
    thanks in advance, cheers!

NdaWind
    Camp Richardsons Southwest shore - Cabins are closest to the water, RV and tent camping are a 10 minute walk or 2 minute drive through campground. Moorings available and water taxi is always quick and available. Store and restraunt on site.
    http://www.camprichardson.com/

justfloatn
    Jet boat at Tahoe = bad idea.
    Leaving a jet on the water, unless you are staying in the Keys, is a very bad idea. I had a friend take an old howard flat to Tahoe. The weather was fine when they tied up. It was swamped and sank while eating dinner at one of the resurants. That is how fast the weather changes.

Jet boat at Tahoe = bad idea.
    Leaving a jet on the water, unless you are staying in the Keys, is a very bad idea. I had a friend take an old howard flat to Tahoe. The weather was fine when they tied up. It was swamped and sank while eating dinner at one of the resurants. That is how fast the weather changes.
    Second that.... I think even a ski boat could be in trouble if the wind picks up stong enough.I had a small boat out there years ago and I can tell you that you won't be going fast , waves were crashing over the bow it felt like i was in the middle of the ocean , but then i ve been out there on the most calm days that there wern't any waves . I would check weather and wind conditions.

speeddreamon
    on that note, would you say that anchoring in emerald bay is going to shelter us from a majority of the wave action? what online source do you guys typically trust most with regards to wave/wind forecasts for lake tahoe?
    thanks

grads2112
    on that note, would you say that anchoring in emerald bay is going to shelter us from a majority of the wave action? what online source do you guys typically trust most with regards to wave/wind forecasts for lake tahoe?
    thanks
    The campground at Emerald Bay has buoys that you tie up to approx. 50-100' off of the shore so bring a raft to paddle in and out from the boat. Emerald Bay can get rough enough during the day to sink a low profile boat but not nearly as rough as the rest of the lake. I think if you only tie the boat off at night you should be alright as it does not get very rough at night.

thanks
    Most of the news channels here out of sac give us weather reports for tahoe so I don't check on line but when i do I'll check the ski resorts

robert hahn
    your wanting to put your boat on lake tahoe. i live about 2 hours from tahoe. i have put my boat on tahoe 2 times. you need to check wind advisery every day. the times i was there it was like glass in the morning until about 11 am. i camped at neveda beach, really nice camp ground. there is a marina just south of there. you can rent a slip for 55 a night, or 20 in 20 out. the beach is about 300 yards from the campground. the campground at camp richardson looks like sardine camping, neveda beach has beautiful camp sites. place to party richardson resort, live band 2 pm til 6 pm. sunnyside have really good and drinks. i own a 21 advantage, low transom. i did take on water, over the front and back. the lake is great. youll never make it around in one day, mother nature will get you. the lake does get rough on the east. one day i started at the south shore, only made it to the sunnyside restaurant. do you have insurance?

grads2112
    Most of all do not let people scare you about this lake! If you notice changing weather conditions don't try crossing the lake, duck into a cove...it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. I'm including some pics of the center of the lake to show you what it can be like.
    This was taken at 3:15 p.m. mid July
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_0632.jpg
    12:30 P.M. same day
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_0612.jpg

grads2112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast