Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lake tahoe, some guidance needed

Husk
    Wow! That first boat is incredible!
    If you're mooring your boat overnight, just make sure your lines aren't too tight. Bad things can happen...ask me how I know.
    Most of all do not let people scare you about this lake! If you notice changing weather conditions don't try crossing the lake, duck into a cove...it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. I'm including some pics of the center of the lake to show you what it can be like.
    This was taken at 3:15 p.m. mid July
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_0632.jpg
    12:30 P.M. same day
    http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...2/IMG_0612.jpg

Pics are great...... Speedreamon , lake tahoe is probably the best lake to boat on. If you havn't done it , I would recommend going. You wont be disappointed .

Fastlane
    Just got back from a week long trip! Only Two days were real bad on the lake. Took a beating on the way back from Emerald Bay.

there was a report on the news for this past saturday and they advised that people should consider taking their boats out due to high winds. We don't see this often ?

speeddreamon
    everyone's advice is greatly appreciated. photos are worth a thousand words, really. and yes, those posted are pretty much ideal conditions i'm sure and it can get bad, but hey...a lake that beautiful at least deserves a shot.
    we've reserved boat-in camping at emerald bay on the 20th and 21st this month, so we'll be there. hopefully the weather cooperates!
    by the way, i found out we could rent a slip at the tahoe keys for something like $8/foot/day which isn't too bad, considering. availability is the issue though.
    thanks a million and continued advice is appreciated.

I will go the a few more times this year. tahoe keys is a really nice place but very pricy to launch 50.00 .I should launch at cave rock but its a little bit of a tight squeese for trailer parking but it is only 15.00 don't forget to bring a camara and binoculars, lots to see

ekbearly
    Meeks Bay is probably one of the best places you can stay. Great sandy beach, boat ramp, slips, awesome food and camping/cabins.

Fastlane
    Make sure to fill up before launching your boat. Zephyr Cove Marina was $5.89. I made the mistake of launching with two empty tanks. It was 89 octane though!

speeddreamon
    we went to emerald bay boat-in with a 2 night reservation. everything was supposedly full for the upcoming days but we ended up staying 5 nights there! you would be suprised how many people don't show up even though the sites are reserved.
    the lake was pretty good earlier in the day. we made it almost to cave rock on our first day, with a late start, and around 2pm started making our way back to the tahoe keys for fuel. we had probably 2 foot chop and boy did it suck. we took water spray over the front the whole way, thankfully i took my waterproof jacket.
    roundtrip launch at the keys was $30. a one time handling fee of $20 applied to parking our trailer (they put it in "storage for you). then we paid an additional $10 per night for the trailer. the car is parked near the launch ramp...without your trailer hooked up.
    the lady working in the harbor master's office at tahoe keys is the most awesome person i've ever met. she made the difference and really encouraged us to have fun out there. they have this live video camera up on a post that she uses to show you where to park, how to launch and if you need to know where something is (for example, camp richardson) she'll just point the camera over there and help you see where to go.
    we bought fuel at the keys every day, premium, at around $6.70 a gallon or so. small price to pay though, i wouldn't want to be on that lake without a lot of fuel, just in case something happens. getting fuel at the keys is nice because you don't have any waves in there.
    the second day we were there, we discovered the "beacon" restaurant at camp richardson. they are the home of the "rum runner", a delicious drink and they also serve the best fried calamari i've ever had. in some ways i wish we hadn't found this place, we spent an average of $80 there every day. parking can be difficult, with afternoon wind the dock there is quite treacherous. on our last two days, we had discovered a trick for parking there, you can tie up to the buoys on the west side and they'll come get you in a little zodiac inflatable. much more relaxing to know the boat is floating rather than potentially smashing in to the dock. it's sort of cool to sit there drinking $8 rum runners and eatting $16 calamari, looking at this really scenic lake and seeing your boat float out there. this is truly an experience that most people might not be lucky enough to have.
    in emerald bay, we found out that most boaters don't have any idea what 15mph means. jetski folks are particularly unaware of this speed limit in there. in some respects though, a jetski at 15mph makes more wake than if they go fast; so i guess it might be ok. we treated the whole bay as a 5mph no-wake zone, it just made the most sense. at 15mph we're plowing along making too much wake and it's really busy in there to go fast.
    the water was not to bad in temperature, chilly at first but still fun to dive in and stuff. take a snorkel mask and examine your boat from underwater, it's pretty cool! if you don't have a marine radio, get one and keep it in the boat. this isn't the first time i've found it to be useful. there is a good weather broadcast for the lake that you'll want to listen to. on our final departure day, we were gone by around 9am and thankfully so...the weather was forecasting 3-5 foot waves on some areas of the lake.
    oh, when you go to emerald bay, be sure to walk up to the top of fannette island (provided it isn't nesting season). it's a great view.
    all in all, we got real lucky with weather, our timing was good. if you have a boat and haven't gone to this place, i highly recommend you do so. bite the bullet and pay the prices for everything you need or want, it is well worth it.
    here is a look at all the camping gear piled into our boat:
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...mping_gear.jpg
    a picture, from fannette island, down on the water with our boat in view:
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...merald_bay.jpg
    me rafting out to the buoy at boat-in camp, you have to leave your boat out there overnight so take a raft or kayak or something to get back and forth with:
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...on_at_buoy.jpg
    another view of the "shuttle" process:
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...o_the_buoy.jpg
    here is the dock at emerald bay boat-in:
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...at-in_dock.jpg
    a view out into the lake from the top of fannette island (my boat in foreground):
    http://www.heli-chair.com/images_pub...sland_view.jpg

grads2112
    The pictures are great and it sounds like you had a killer time, thats good to hear. I know what you mean about the Beacon, that place becomes addicting...they must put crack or something in those Rum Runners. I told you not to let people scare you off of this lake(post #9). I'm headed to Tahoe in about 5 hours, your post pumped me up even more. Thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast