Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New guy here with needed opinions.

Delta Runner
    I am a V-drive guy, I have a 17.5' '63 Stevens 396(needs new engine), and I have had a 21' Taylor V-drive. I am now looking at a '83 Omega with a 454 and Panther jet. This will be my first jet boat if I go for it. Any thoughts on the Omega or the Panther drive? I went and saw the boat yesterday, and was impressed on the condition and upkeep. I am going to go back later in the week to get it wet and check out the mechanics.
    Any assistance would be great.
    I have been surfing the forum for a while and I think it looks like a good hang out.

Midlake Crisis
    Do a search on Panther pumps, you will get mixed opinions. They are generally disfavored by the performance crowd, but can apparently be made to go fast too. Berkeley drivers are by far the most popular and have the best market for parts and accessories. Are you wanting a family cruiser or a river racer?

Delta Runner
    Thanx Midlake, I am looking for a family cruiser with some performance to go with it. I do like to haul a$$ on the water, but this thing is probably only good for 50-55mph. But that will be ok for a cruiser.

Cas
    Thanx Midlake, I am looking for a family cruiser with some performance to go with it. I do like to haul a$$ on the water, but this thing is probably only good for 50-55mph. But that will be ok for a cruiser.
    you should get just that with that boat. I had a 21' Tahiti with the 454 BBC/Panther combo a few years ago. That boat ran about 56/57 mph @ 4800 rpms all day long. If you do end up wanting to add HP, keep it below 500 and you should be pretty safe.
    As far as Panthers go, they're a good pump for a lake boat. As MidLake said, you'll hear a bunch of negatives but that's mostly from people that have never owned one...they just "heard" it's a bad pump. Panthers are very easy to work on, if need be, and pretty inexpensive to rebuild....unless you need some machining or a new housing.
    If you open the reverse bucket all the way, you will see a little zerk fitting in there. That should be greased about every 25 hours or so. If you want to find out how much the current owner knows about the maintainance, ask him about that zerk as most people don't know it's there.

Delta runner welcome to the HB boards ! re you possible Boat purchase ,take a good bright flash lite ,roll under the boat and look up inside the jet at the housing casting surrounding the impeller for erosion and pitting (especially @ 12 to 2o'clock position), The impeller blades should appear good not beat up or dinged also remove (or ask the current owner to) the small hex dip stick at the bearing housing (near the transom) inside the boat the dip stick should show a very small amount of clean amber oil ,no milkyness and definately gear oil (not heavy grease). Feel free to call my cell if you have questions while on site looking at the boat (check pms) . Re the BBC the regular issues apply , no abnormal noise ,good oil pressure etc Again Welcome Tom

twocents
    If you're looking for a resource for information about Panther Jets, try ADM Boat Works in Westminster, CA -- (714) 898-8447 -- Don Yanase is the owner. They service and repair all jet brands and have specialized in Panther for years.

Cas
    If you're looking for a resource for information about Panther Jets, try ADM Boat Works in Westminster, CA -- (714) 898-8447 -- Don Yanase is the owner. They service and repair all jet brands and have specialized in Panther for years.
    or Jim Coffey at Performance Jet in Sebastopol for someone that's closer to you- 707-823-6713
    http://www.performancejet.com/
    or talk to Steve at Panther - 541-672-4659
    http://www.pantherjet.com/
    If you buy the boat, let me know and I'll send you the Panther Manual via email.

Delta Runner
    Fantastic input people, just the type of stuff I was looking for. As for the BBC, I have been using them for 25 years (oops, showing my age). I will check the goodies on the pump. I will be taking my cousin as he used to be a big jet guy (mostly Berkeley though) He will be able to help me with a non biased and objective opinions.
    JJ

Cas
    JJ,
    Showing your age? Shit, my first jet boat was bought used in 1976
    It was a 1975 Tahiti Tiger with a Olds 455 and Berk JC pump...ran that thing for 11 yrs without any issues and it got great gas mileage (for a boat).
    Since then, 5 boats - 2 with Panthers and the rest with Berks.

Delta Runner
    JJ,
    Showing your age? Shit, my first jet boat was bought used in 1976
    It was a 1975 Tahiti Tiger with a Olds 455 and Berk JC pump...ran that thing for 11 yrs without any issues and it got great gas mileage (for a boat).
    Since then, 5 boats - 2 with Panthers and the rest with Berks.
    HaHaHa, cool deal.
    I am going try to get her in the water this evening (after checking out the pointers left in the previous messages). Wish me luck.
    BTW the guy is asking $5500, does that seem fairly reasonable to you folks. Just cruising other classifieds and adds, its seems like a pretty good buy to me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast