Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fiberglass Sub Boxes

BADASS38CHEVY
    Im thinking about having fiberglass sub boxes made for my jl 13.5's.I have these boxes already and think they are to heavy.Will a fiberglass sub box be lighter?How much would they cost for 2 boxes.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...o_pics_002.jpg

Cole Trickle
    Im thinking about having fiberglass sub boxes made for my jl 13.5's.I have these boxes already and think they are to heavy.Will a fiberglass sub box be lighter?How much would they cost for 2 boxes.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...o_pics_002.jpg
    they will probably be a little lighter depending on how thick you lay them up.(A thin Fiberglass box will get destroyed by your speakers :crossx: )
    It will be interesting to see what you come up with....out of all of the products and installation on your boat I felt like the sub boxes were the only thing that looked like an afterthought.
    Wonder how much harder it would hiy if you put all four close together?(I know it's alot of weight on one side)

Beer-30
    I don't know, those are real nice slot-ported enclosures. No wonder you are so happy with you bass!
    The glass would have to be thick, as CT mentioned. Probably still lighter, though.
    I would almost think carbon fiber would be getting affordable enough to use as an alternate. Would take less material than fiberglass and weighs less to boot.
    How about an 1/4" thick aluminum box with dynamat inside?

'78 gt boat
    With glass you have to get about 6 layers of 3/4oz chop mat on there to keep the box from flexing. Most of the time after the mat is put down and dry you would use a layer of Gorilla hair which is te bondo/fiberglass combo for better contour and then followed up with Rage Gold body filler. When you add these two to the box it get's a lot heavier. And like the others said you will have to brace the s!@% out of te box because of the type of speakers you have. Glass boxes just look better overall and you have a lot more flexability with curves and angles than you do with wood. As far as cost goes to have someone make them will depend on if you want them painted or just carpeted. I would say around 300-600 would be a decent price range. Just my .02

BadKachina
    With glass you have to get about 6 layers of 3/4oz chop mat on there to keep the box from flexing. Most of the time after the mat is put down and dry you would use a layer of Gorilla hair which is te bondo/fiberglass combo for better contour and then followed up with Rage Gold body filler. When you add these two to the box it get's a lot heavier. And like the others said you will have to brace the s!@% out of te box because of the type of speakers you have. Glass boxes just look better overall and you have a lot more flexability with curves and angles than you do with wood. As far as cost goes to have someone make them will depend on if you want them painted or just carpeted. I would say around 300-600 would be a decent price range. Just my .02
    I agree, it won't be cheap. There is a ton of labor involved, especially if you want it painted and not just covered with carpet or vinyl. Another alternative would to just make the face plate fiebrglass and use the existing bottom of the box you already have. You could leave the bottom carpeted to match your boat carpet and vinyl the top, or you could go all out and paint it to match.

BADASS38CHEVY
    The sound im happy with. The size im not and the weight is to heavy.I like the carbon fiber suggestion.How much less would that weigh.These boxes were made last minute and I was going to have some new enclosers made later.Well its getting close to that time.I like the sub location in the middle of the boat but it takes up alot of the room.Any suggestions.

BoatFloating
    Weight is realtive..... Those speakers are what cause the weight and the savings from going fiberglass won't be felt in performance.

WaTchTheGelCoat
    Weight is realtive..... Those speakers are what cause the weight and the savings from going fiberglass won't be felt in performance.
    You got that right mang, Perhaps you can back away from the 2 dub 6's
    and go with one 13 inch dub 7. I bet you 1000 watts on that one sub would hit harder than the two you have.

BADASS38CHEVY
    You got that right mang, Perhaps you can back away from the 2 dub 6's
    and go with one 13 inch dub 7. I bet you 1000 watts on that one sub would hit harder than the two you have.
    I thought about that in the begining but was told that I would get more bass out of 4 13 w6's that 2 13 w7's.I already have 2 1000/1 amps to run the w7's.

ROZ
    Everything is a compromise... From cost and space, to weight and sound output. The compromise has to be made.
    I'm with john with cost and weight. Will it weight less, yes but not by much...
    13w6 weighs about 30lbs... 13w7 weighs about 55 lbs By going this route you save only about 5 lbs, but the box can be smaller, too... I'm guessing you'd only save about 20lbs per loaded box total going this route..
    Like I said, it's always a compromise
    Badass"basshound"38chevy...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast