Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sanger Hydro's

Caught N the Act
    I just bought this 2 weeks ago. i can not find any hull ID # was told it is a 76 and was a blown gas hydro
    call Satan`s Toy, 1st owner was Buddy Gregory from so cal. I was told it was orange w/ graphics back in the day.I was told this is a very rare hull.
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3181/...09379bddd1.jpg
    Rich,
    Is it indeed a Super lite one layup deck? The hull numbers are located on the right side if the boat near the read about 6" off the transom 1" off the bottom of the boat.
    Caught N the Act 225

reason i brought it up was how did the new memorial hydro get built. there has got to be a mold. i spoke with a guy at sanger boats and says some molds are there. who knows? i spoke with kathy and it sounds like with the bad economy she may consider building old hot boats again, but was very careful what was said by the sound of her voice..ill get measurements and pics tonight for you . as far as year i dont really car but so far my plan is a blown 496 with a 2 speed owens i have. has a casale box but i figured id send to precision craft for rebuild and add of a whirlaway. i know new molds can be made with a hull. but like kathy said some of the reason is without making new it keeps the value of the old up. hondo is re making boats. i think no matter what these boats are history that will never go dead. the factories should help keep it alive . dan

rich seibert
    http://pictures.khbeck.com/racing/1987-0711-26.jpg
    Caught N the Act
    I can recall reading your name each month in National Drag Boat
    (pic from Kbeck) Steve Varner has always been one of my heros.
    my hull id #s must have been filled in and painted over,
    also my hull has never been regestered,race boat all it`s life
    it is filled w/ foam
    a guy named Mike Ferras had this boat from 84 to 2005 or so,
    it also had a Denver Mullens capsule in it when it left Ca.
    then was repainted and back to a open boat now it`s in Pa.
    sorry guys i did not mean to highjack this topic.

Caught N the Act
    Not a problem.
    That's us in BGH looks like back East maybe St. Louis. Steve is definitely a talented Drag boat drive and still a very good friend of ours. We talk about the old Drag days once in a while, maybe doing it again.
    You know they all get painted over or ground off like my two Hydro's. You can either register it as a home built hull or find someone with cleared serials numbers and change one letter and run through DMV to see if it is used. That's what I'm doing.
    Good look' in boat BTW - Looks like a early 392? Are you going to run it?
    We knew Buddy, we were running BAH at the time he was in Gas, not in a Sanger I believe.
    Caught N the Act 225

heck i never thought of that , just changing a letter. i been going round and roundtrying to find a 78- hull damaged to buy the title. sorry to dig info but by chance do you have any old brochures i can buy from you. my dad bought the old challenger UFH from roy scannoni ( in sure spelled wrong) that Hippi george drove. it was a fuel hull that was sold . i tried to locate the boat and descovered it was destroyed in 86 buy a jack ass trying to use it in the delta as a lake boat. i did locate the old ski hydro my dad owned but haven sent a letter to the guy and see if willing to sell. back in 81 my dad bought 4 blank hulls from jack a mini day , ski, drag hydro and a flat bottom all on the same day. since years past the mini was sold in 85 but we located it and rebought it. its being restored. the flat and drag hydro are destroyed. the ski is in lake tahoe. my hydro will have the same name as my dad ran his under DEFIANCE with the same number. its a sentimental thing no more.

i just got a sanger runner 1974 , im looking to see if any history, reason is the odd ol hillbilly i got it from didnt have it long.the boat has a cf number on it but last reg on hull is 1978. it doennot look like any other year taggs were put over it so it may be last time reg. there is the number 753 on the back sides. the paint has definatley shown age and has the painter name on the bow. ill post pics

Caught N the Act
    heck i never thought of that , just changing a letter. i been going round and roundtrying to find a 78- hull damaged to buy the title. sorry to dig info but by chance do you have any old brochures i can buy from you. my dad bought the old challenger UFH from roy scannoni ( in sure spelled wrong) that Hippi george drove. it was a fuel hull that was sold . i tried to locate the boat and descovered it was destroyed in 86 buy a jack ass trying to use it in the delta as a lake boat. i did locate the old ski hydro my dad owned but haven sent a letter to the guy and see if willing to sell. back in 81 my dad bought 4 blank hulls from jack a mini day , ski, drag hydro and a flat bottom all on the same day. since years past the mini was sold in 85 but we located it and rebought it. its being restored. the flat and drag hydro are destroyed. the ski is in lake tahoe. my hydro will have the same name as my dad ran his under DEFIANCE with the same number. its a sentimental thing no more.
    I don't think I do.
    Blanks? Wow, Jack never sold blanks. Closest bare hull you could get would be a Stage 1. Jack must of really trusted your Dad.
    Caught N the Act 225

well the deal was made with the manager at the time. the hulls left blank. no emblems or any holes in them not even a strut hole . cool thing is i have the pics to proove it. when the mini got done first some gas spilled on the deck from the tanks breathing and the boat had to go back for paint repair. at that time jack seen no emblems on boat and was not the happiest. i think because my pops bought 4 boats same day cash. the manager worked a deal he probly shouldnt have. my dad and jack go way back but wasnt more than business . i remember my dad cuttin all holes . im diging up the pics and will post them. when the hulls came home and when the mini was bought back just last year. i wont own anything but sangers. we have had pretty much all models even the 26 ft tahoe sprint and jet hydro. im always lookingfor more sangers. recently my dad gave me the orig yellow crew shirt and jacket from when he was with tim morgan and the flying machine. ill be seeing tim after x-mas for him to sign them . no one knows where the old flying machines went ive heard back east. the kurtis hulls he went to are gone also.

Caught N the Act
    Sounds like you're on your way to having one model? Have you looked into an Ally Cat?
    I know Jack was very particular his boats and how they ran. That why I'm surprised to hear they were blank.
    Looking forward to seeing your photos. I would definitely like to see close-ups of the candy paint layouts. We ordered specific gel coat colors and candy layouts for at the time what was popular down here in So Cal.
    Maybe you can help me locate a early 80's v-drive day cruiser project boat?
    Have a good weekend!
    Caught N the Act 225

Caught N the Act
    reason i brought it up was how did the new memorial hydro get built. there has got to be a mold. i spoke with a guy at sanger boats and says some molds are there. who knows? i spoke with kathy and it sounds like with the bad economy she may consider building old hot boats again, but was very careful what was said by the sound of her voice..ill get measurements and pics tonight for you . as far as year i dont really car but so far my plan is a blown 496 with a 2 speed owens i have. has a casale box but i figured id send to precision craft for rebuild and add of a whirlaway. i know new molds can be made with a hull. but like kathy said some of the reason is without making new it keeps the value of the old up. hondo is re making boats. i think no matter what these boats are history that will never go dead. the factories should help keep it alive . dan
    Hondo is not making Boats, Jamie's is making a Drag boat under the Hondo name.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast