Thread: What cam?

Daytona100
    I have a .030 454 with flat top pistons good rods etc. Aluminum Pro Comp heads with 110 cc chambers. Also B&M 420 with a chiller duel 800 Holleys boost referenced carbs. I was told to run about a 218 230 duration cam. It,s going into a 25 Daytona with a Bravo drive 1.5 ratio. I,m not looking to set the world on fire just looking for a nice drivable combo that idles low and smooth. preferably a flat tappet cam. Thank you for any suggestions. Mike

TIMINATOR
    When properly set-up and tuned, a positive displacement blower(roots or whipple type) equipped engine will allways idle better than the same engine with no blower. This is because the reversion pressure wave that is the cause of the poor idle is isolated from the carb, the carb in this case will see only a constant smooth draw of air. A blower crams in the charge, but only the normal piston and valve action will evacuate the cylinder, because of this a larger exhaust event is required as is a wider lobe separation angle. A larger intake lobe helps cylinder filling, allowing the mixture INTO the cylinder so it can make power, not be stalled in the manifold and only show a large boost number. Sooooo... you actually want a larger cam than you think! Probably about 250/262 @.050 on a 114deg lobe sep. angle. Call me for further info. I type too slowly! TIMINATOR 623-877-8553

Daytona100
    Thanks Tim. Do you have any favorite cams that you use for this combo. Thanks for the info. Mike

bigkatboat
    Thanks Tim. Do you have any favorite cams that you use for this combo. Thanks for the info. Mike
    Doesn't that BLOWER? have 'two lobe rotors? If it does, it will have 'pulses' at idle and lower speeds. I know they are driven faster, but I don't think you will be making boost under 2K RPMs with your set up. If you have a true 8 to 1 static compression, how about a flat/hydralic I .568" 244 @.050", X .578" 246 @.050" on 112 centers, in @ 108? This would give you good pull from about 1600/1800 off boost and then blast off around 2500 to mid 6K. You want to "save the drive" right off idle, or it will blow up. This will 'ease the power on' and still pull like hell. "Or not"

TIMINATOR
    I recomended the larger cam to create a soft spot right off of idle so as not to shock the drive, your way works too. Many cat-skinning ways. TIMINATOR

BoostDaddy871
    Give this hydraulic roller cam shaft some consideration. It is the Crane "741" grind that has been renamed in the Z series of cams.
    This works in Supercharged Marine Engines very well. It works best with Aftermarket Exhaust Manifolds. Gross Lift .610/.632 Duration @.050 234/242 Adv. Duration 296/304 Lobe Seperation 112
    This will idle and you will be able to shift in & out of gear and not crash into the dock or your trailer.
    Good Luck

Daytona100
    Thanks for the help. Mike