Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: L.A. Boat Show 2009

HDF WATERDOG
    The Buyer Perspective. I think there's buyers out there that are doing their homework and understand what's happening in the industry. Not going to the show and saving the bucks might be the thing to do for some to get thru these times. I wouldn't cross anybody off for not going. And what's wrong with the last boat. It's possible that some are making their last boat today and don't even know it yet.

grads2112
    The problem with buying the last boat is that warranty lasts about as long as it takes to get off the lot.

HALLETT BOY
    The problem with buying the last boat is that warranty lasts about as long as it takes to get off the lot.
    And with a new boat you NEED the warranty !

justfloatn
    The Buyer Perspective. I think there's buyers out there that are doing their homework and understand what's happening in the industry. Not going to the show and saving the bucks might be the thing to do for some to get thru these times. I wouldn't cross anybody off for not going. And what's wrong with the last boat. It's possible that some are making their last boat today and don't even know it yet.
    Your quote seems to be based on the assumption that every buyer is on this site or the other one I bet 80% of the owners of performance boats never research a thing. They work hard, have money and want a nice boat. Looking at Magazines and going to the show and seeing the boats is how their decision is made.
    And I mentioned what is wrong with buying the last boat. Grads pointed out the warranty issue on top of it. That would suck. Ask a Weekend Warrior or Commandor owner their opinion on that.
    Again "My" opinion

BADBLOWN572
    I have talked to quite a few of the manufacturers on the west coast, and a lot of them are not planning on being at the LA show. Not because of company instability, but because of the economy not producing sales. Many feel that there are better avenues to spend the $$$ on than the LA Show. Even last year, most manufacturers did not sell one boat. Some others got lucky. I think that this year is going to be worse than last year. For the amount of money that the LA show costs to do, you can do A LOT of promoting in other locations. It comes down to a sound business decision. Where do you apply your money to get the best return on investment.

grads2112
    I have talked to quite a few of the manufacturers on the west coast, and a lot of them are not planning on being at the LA show. Not because of company instability, but because of the economy not producing sales. Many feel that there are better avenues to spend the $$$ on than the LA Show. Even last year, most manufacturers did not sell one boat. Some others got lucky. I think that this year is going to be worse than last year. For the amount of money that the LA show costs to do, you can do A LOT of promoting in other locations. It comes down to a sound business decision. Where do you apply your money to get the best return on investment.
    This is kind of what I was thinking and that is why I initially asked the question.. I might pass on the show this year...we'll see.

HDF WATERDOG
    Your quote seems to be based on the assumption that every buyer is on this site or the other one I bet 80% of the owners of performance boats never research a thing. They work hard, have money and want a nice boat. Looking at Magazines and going to the show and seeing the boats is how their decision is made.
    And I mentioned what is wrong with buying the last boat. Grads pointed out the warranty issue on top of it. That would suck. Ask a Weekend Warrior or Commandor owner their opinion on that.
    Again "My" opinion
    Many don't research and buy a pretty boat often, True. I think that is changing though. Some just get suckered by a good salesman. Of course warranties are important. My point was that some might be building they're last boat and not now it. Trident might be a good example. Nice owner trying to find his niche in the market. I think he's on #8 now. Building the boat the best he can. Will there be a #9, even he doesn't know that yet. #8 could be the last and perhaps his best boat. WW was building cheap crap with tons of warranty issues. And I was with Sy watching a lot of people picking up there unfinished boats. Learned he was closing right here on HB and ran over there as it was only a couple blocks away. And in my book, research includes the ever important test ride.

HDF WATERDOG
    If I remember right, aren't you one of the lucky ones that sold a boat. You're in the perfect position to know if it was worth it or not. Or perhaps I should say perfectly worst position to know. Gotta be a tough decision. BTW, if you don't go, I will not be crossing you off my list.

BADBLOWN572
    If I remember right, aren't you one of the lucky ones that sold a boat. You're in the perfect position to know if it was worth it or not. Or perhaps I should say perfectly worst position to know. Gotta be a tough decision. BTW, if you don't go, I will not be crossing you off my list.
    I was one of the lucky ones. I sold two at the boat show last year. Lucky for me, last year the SCMA offered me a screaming deal to go into the LA Boat Show. As of last time I checked, they are not offering any deals. With the economy the way it is, I don't know if it will be worth it or not to go. You can do a lot of advertising for the same price as the boat show. I have definitely not ruled out going to the show this year, but I have also not said that I am going for sure either. We will see how it looks as it gets closer.

justfloatn
    I was one of the lucky ones. I sold two at the boat show last year. Lucky for me, last year the SCMA offered me a screaming deal to go into the LA Boat Show. As of last time I checked, they are not offering any deals. With the economy the way it is, I don't know if it will be worth it or not to go. You can do a lot of advertising for the same price as the boat show. I have definitely not ruled out going to the show this year, but I have also not said that I am going for sure either. We will see how it looks as it gets closer.
    As an idea the manufacturers may want to team up and put on their own show. These promoters do charge alot for the spaces at shows. Here in Sac. there are a few motorhome dealers that get together, rent the space and promote their own RV show due to the cost of attending the "BIG" RV show. I talked with a salesman that said they had to move three to five units just to break even at the show promoters show.
    Just an idea..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast