Thread: Need help, Cam Degree wheel

dgie
    I bought a cam degree wheel and the hole on it that I am supossed to run the crank bolt thru is too small, i noticed this when installing it. Has anyone ran into this before and what should I do. Should I increase the size of the hole in the degree wheel or send it back because i may have the wrong wheel. also is there really a diffrence in the kits for diffrent engines or are they all the same?
    Vic...Cas ..infomaniac... anyone?

Reds75Makai
    The degree wheel is broke down into 360 degrees, increments of 1 degree. They are all universal from small to big block and all makes of blocks. Comp Cams has a standard size hole that does have to be drilled to fit on a big block. Crane Cams offers one that has adapters for different size holes.

dgie
    Mine is from Clay smith, but I believe it is from another company and they distribute them from the company. All I know is the hole is too small on the wheel and not sure what i need to do. I guess i can call them tomorrow and ask them if they have one with a diffrent size hole or is it necessary to drill it. I just do not want to drill off center if I need to drill it out , as it would throw all my calculations off. Today is the kind of day that I wish I started this earlier this week, waiting till sunday when everyone is not there was not a smart move on my part.

oldphart
    just drill it. the existing hole will be your pilot and it cant get that far off. The other option is to get another crank bolt, tap it and bush the hole in the wheel to the new bolt diameter

victorfb
    drilling it should be no problem. there is a bit called a uni-bit that increases in size as you go. steps from one size to another. that would keep you from going off center. they are expensive, but a great tool to have. if your going to use a regular bit, clamp the degree wheel to a piece of wood or something so you drill through both. this helps from "walking" the bit and helps keep you centered.
    good luck and keep us posted.

superdave013
    I have the same one. Valsco cranks have an even bigger bolt then a standarded BBC. I drilled it.