Thread: Need opinions on what to do with my 21' open bow...

Metal_King
    Hello,
    I used to have an 18' bahner with a 454 LS6 and Berkeley 12JG-A.
    To make a long story short, I beat that hull all to hell on Havasu and made an 8 ft. crack from under the driver seat to the transom. Rather than repair it, I went to Roger's Custom Boats (While he was in business) and he put my engine and jet in one of his 21' hulls. He laid the bottom of the hull pretty thick with fiberglass so this problem would never happen again.
    In the Bahner, the set up would do 5200 rpm.
    In the Roger's, the redline is 4500.
    The summer is coming up pretty quick and I need some advice on what to do to get the rpm's back up again.
    My neighbor suggests going to GS Marine in Corona, who I guess specializes in jets.
    Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jason

Hallett19
    Once you get a crack in the hull, its no problem getting it fixed and they will be fine. I had my hull crack from the front seat about 5 feet back, seems like the boat wanted to split in the middle. But havasu barney fixed it for me, reinforced the hull, layed up the X-Glass nice and thick and its now brand new, he put new floors in too.

beached 1
    Metal_King:
    Hello,
    In the Bahner, the set up would do 5200 rpm.
    In the Roger's, the redline is 4500.
    It sounds like the pump in your "new" boat is tighter than your old one. Assuming you went with the same type of pump and impeller of course. GPS the top speed in it. You may be runnning faster even though you are spinning less RPMs. If it's a true LS6, have GS mmarine check the pump to possibly cut the impeller down to?. An LS6 can run 5500 all day.

Back Forty
    Quote: "Rather than repair it, I went to Roger's Custom Boats (While he was in business) and he put my engine and jet in one of his 21' hulls."
    If it's the same pump / engine, shouldn't the rpms be about the same as the pump would be providing the same load on the engine regardless of hull. The only change should be in speed if any. If you are using the same pump, maybe something has changed on the engine side of things?

BK
    I think Back Forty is correct. Provided there was nothing done to the pump, motor and intake during the transfer the RPM probley shouldnt have changed, at least not that much. I recently took the pump/motor out of my 18' Sanger and put it into a 21' daycruiser and had no change in RPM.